Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-03-2006, 02:43 AM   #441
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Has anybody got any bright ideas as to how I can get this onto my old 486 ?
I welcome you to open a thread in the Troubleshooting section if you really encounter trouble... But if you have such general questions as the one quoted above, all I'm going to say back is general answers such as:

type "TFTD" and the program should start. :bleh:

As mentioned above, TFTD is meant to be played on a DOS machine. I can't possibly think of problems you can encounter other than the normal old DOS problems. And those aren't "normal" prlblems.
Old 28-03-2006, 03:27 AM   #442
stein o mite

anyone realize the underdogs site (the one that is said to contain the windows version of TFTD) doesnt appear to be operational any longer?

btw, thanks for all your glorious knowledge and wisdom, i just finished reading all the posts, may you bring swift doom to T´leth. :Titan:

you all rock.

love,
stein o mite

p.s. now if only lent was over so i could actually play.

Old 28-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #443
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by stein o mite@Mar 28 2006, 03:27 AM
anyone realize the underdogs site (the one that is said to contain the windows version of TFTD) doesnt appear to be operational any longer?
Yep, such a pity. Read about it here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_of_the_Underdogs

including how to access to a limited version of the site (no downloads I think).
Old 28-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #444
yeugz
Lurker

[font=Arial][color=blue] hi i bought x-com ages ago and i recently re-installed it on my pc. i never actually finished the game, and i thing it's about time...
i'm playing the game in beginner mode and theres one thing that prevents me from advancing. when i'm in the geoscape, my whole team panics or becomes 'under molecular control' before i can do anything.
what can i do ??? please can someone help ???
cheers thanks!
yeugz is offline                         Send a private message to yeugz
Old 29-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #445
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by yeugz@Mar 28 2006, 09:13 PM
i'm playing the game in beginner mode and theres one thing that prevents me from advancing. when i'm in the geoscape, my whole team panics or becomes 'under molecular control' before i can do anything.
Your team suffers molecular attacks while in the geoscape (where you can see the whole Earth)?? This game was buggy, but I don't know if I can believe that without seeing it! :blink:

I assume this happens on missions, that's another deal. If you suffer molecular attacks this means... well, that you've encountered aliens with that skill. It's one of the aliens' more powerful weapon, and you might not be prepared for confronting it at the beginning. So maybe you should leave that UFO alone, and go for the next one. If you're really playing in beginner, such hardships shouldn't turn up often.

However, different soldiers have different resistances to molecular attacks--you get to know this once you research this field. So you might want to transfer that soldier who's always targeted by the aliens' molecular attacks, and transfer him so that you've got one base with a molecular-resistant squad, that's what I do.
Old 29-03-2006, 03:52 AM   #446
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
[font=Arial][color=blue] hi i bought x-com ages ago and i recently re-installed it on my pc. i never actually finished the game, and i thing it's about time...
i'm playing the game in beginner mode and theres one thing that prevents me from advancing. when i'm in the geoscape, my whole team panics or becomes 'under molecular control' before i can do anything. wallbash.gif
what can i do ??? please can someone help ???
cheers thanks!
What type of mission?
Against who?

I still dont get what happens, i never played on that level but in last one, i got the same problem, MC destroys the best quads if you dont upgrade to MC. For avoid this use tanks and grenades of all tipes. During night battles make the light with incendiary ammo or lights. Use your tropers in groups of 4 if there is an alien race without MC. As the MC chance raise, make smaller teams and got a group of MC experts.
Old 29-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #447

Right thanks k: i'll go try that out.
By the way the mission is a terrorzone on a ship. i've never seen the aliens i'm confronting before, they look like little pink ufos which blow up real bad when they die (the buggers). And yes they use molecular control on several of the members of my squad which makes them either panic, get under molecular control and you can imagine the rest... i'm quite early in the game so how come the aliens are using one of their best weapons ?!
thanks again cheers

Old 30-03-2006, 03:23 AM   #448
laiocfar
NOD Commander

It happens in the first terror mission against telebrains, the key is work undercover, you should enter, shoot, and move out. Anyway, working with MS i made the first level once but in the second ABORT, doing this type of missions is a waste of people
Old 30-03-2006, 05:47 AM   #449
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

1. if you don't abort, you will get all equipment form i think second misison.
2. they are not the ones using the MC. however they do have a lot of movement and will actually be used as scout. take any alien out as fast as you can and move or hide.

MC is used either by tasoth (reptile kind of guys) or aquatoids (little green ones). in XCOM they usually need to see you to use MC (note: sometimes you can see things through walls :blink: ). my advice is (if this is your first time) to save the game each turn under a different file name. that way you can seek out the aliens, reload appropriate turn and bomb them.

in ship second mission i think on beginning it's preety much safe to toss grenades among those boxes, because that's where they are usually hiding.

as for the aliens you mentioned - yes they are a nuisance, because they explode and have a lot of shots available which are quite accurate. my advice is to try and use some sonic grenade on them or other powerfull explosives. also HE clips in gass cannon make targeting a lot easier. sure they blow up half of the house on terror sites, but who cares. it's not like you will have to pay for the damage you do

Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 31-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #450
laiocfar
NOD Commander

SAVE/LOAD during missions is to cheat.

Its right the telebrain make the scouting and the tasoth the MC. Try by fast moving into the ship hull, once inside make lot of smoke and hit/run attacks using explosives for clear the battle zones.