Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

Eeeh... what Tom said. I agree with him.

Games, movies, whatever else is just a catalyst but personally I think it have minor effect (for those mentally unstable) if none at all (for the rest of us), wether there are computer games or not society will keep doing what it always do and just as there were atrocities before digital age so they will be in the future.

And from my point of view TV with it's news are far worse than games and movies put together. Games, even modern ones, are still far from looking real and besides we all know we're just playing games. Movies while being more visually "real" than games are still just movies. While real news displaying real violence is whole different thing, especially with that "omg! sensation!" attitude.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 15-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
chainsoar
Master Debater

All of the above posters have pretty much captured the jist of what I would've otherwise posted here (saves me a lot of typing :P), but I would add one thing - the kids who are sheltered excessively from violence in movies/video games/TV are in fact more likely to turn out weird than kids who aren't. It stands to reason - a kid who is sheltered from gory movies, violent video games and so on, grows up, and gets his first taste of fake violence - he'll either be so shocked and disturbed by it that he could even become mentally unbalanced, or he'll absolutely love it, having been shielded from it in the past, leaving the door open for him to become a total gore munching maniac, on a quest to seek out the violence he missed out on. The way to deal with violence in movies, Tv and video games is not to shelter children from it, but to allow them access to it, BUT - and this is a big but (tee hee) - you have to make them understand it's not real. Then you will have raised a truly balanced child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 15-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Gah! I'm sooo flip-pin' tir-ed of blind folded, hypocrite, headless chickens who always scream and shout "don't blame me!". Too many kids, and adults, have their lives in a mess to start with. Maybe even someone messed it up for them. When they flip their lids, the crowd goes "BURN! BURN!". The crowd makes me just as sick as the sicko who did this.
Old 15-09-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

What are you guys talking about? I've just read the news link, and there is no mention or accusation that the games were what made the guy "go postal". They were merely catalysms for him, and he probably tryied to gain experience in what he planned to do by playing the massacre game which is a game based on the last school bloodbath.

This killer went berzerk merely some kilometers from where I work, and you guys seems to be way more affected by this than I'll ever be...
Old 15-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Actually, I read about it in the papers today. There it was mentioned that he was "under the influence of computer games".
Old 15-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #16
Himmler
Trollmaster General

LOL not again. and come ooon! look at the damn retarded fool!
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 16-09-2006, 12:59 AM   #17
Vendermarch
Forum hobbit

So much for that. I don't see any pattern in videogames and violence. Violent people are so just because of their lack of empathy, or some urge. Anyway why bother with this. People die everyday in a more horrible way pointlessly. I'm just sorry for the people that died that day.
Vendermarch is offline                         Send a private message to Vendermarch
Old 16-09-2006, 01:10 AM   #18
Juni Ori
Forum hobbit

First of all I have to say that I find most perverted the fact that violence in most computer games, tv-series and movies is glamorized and understated. In real life if you hit somebody with baseball bat to head and really do hit him/her good, he/she won't stand up. If you hit him/her hard with a fist to face and hit good, there's usually a lot more blood and less efficient fighting back. Not to mention gunshot wounds. These all reduce the understanding of actions of violence. This may lead into wrong path, where after certain point you don't have a choise to turn back. You've gone too far. Otherwise I don't see games, series or movies responsible in almost any way of violent behavior.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gekko @ Sep 15 2006, 11:04 AM) [snapback]255076[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
It still doesn't make me bloodfrenzied killer. I actually sold my knife collection last week, and felt huge relief. I have also chosen non-military career in country where it is almost required (and respected by most). Im very peaceloving person and I will avoid violence by all means. I believe in self defence however..[/b]
Living in the same country and I categorize myself pacifist. That's exactly the reason why I chose to enter the service. To upkeep credible defence force and give a hint to any possible invader that it would get too expensive. Would I ever had any doubts, I most likely would had gone anyways, only to smooth my way to working life... Self defence, yes, I believe in it too. Just remember to avoid any unnecessary damage and always hit only once, but hard enough, if you ever have to. Then go away (after making sure he/she is still okay). One bad bruise is better than ten milder ones in the eyes of law.
Juni Ori is offline                         Send a private message to Juni Ori
Old 16-09-2006, 02:48 AM   #19
Iowa
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chainsoar @ Sep 15 2006, 07:39 AM) [snapback]255158[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
All of the above posters have pretty much captured the jist of what I would've otherwise posted here (saves me a lot of typing :P), but I would add one thing - the kids who are sheltered excessively from violence in movies/video games/TV are in fact more likely to turn out weird than kids who aren't. It stands to reason - a kid who is sheltered from gory movies, violent video games and so on, grows up, and gets his first taste of fake violence - he'll either be so shocked and disturbed by it that he could even become mentally unbalanced, or he'll absolutely love it, having been shielded from it in the past, leaving the door open for him to become a total gore munching maniac, on a quest to seek out the violence he missed out on. The way to deal with violence in movies, Tv and video games is not to shelter children from it, but to allow them access to it, BUT - and this is a big but (tee hee) - you have to make them understand it's not real. Then you will have raised a truly balanced child.
[/b]
Whoah, you're absolutely right, even dead on...

How do I know? Simple, I am one of those teenagers that has been sheltered pretty much all his life from these things...so what happened when my parents stopped caring about it? Well, I love violent video games, I really like watching snuff-cartoons, and i'm in general obsessed with the dark side of the world. However, I don't think the last one was just the sheltering, because i've always been like that...but you're right in that after being shielded from violence for so long, I now embrace it.

But, don't get me wrong, I know that all of the violence in the media is fake...in fact, the thought reoccurs to me every time I play Blood or watch Happy Tree Friends. So i'm a bit out of balance, it doesn't matter, I can discern from real and wrong, and that's all that matters to me.

Oh, and they should stop pinning every criminal offense on video games.
Old 16-09-2006, 03:54 AM   #20
giganto
Forum hobbit

Send a message via AIM to giganto Send a message via MSN to giganto

it's like, theres no game that actually tells you its ok to go blow the muck out of an entire town or city. think about the game halo. its not telling you to shoot the crap out of any alien you see. its just telling you what you might do in that particular situation if you were a cyborg marine. thats basicly what video games are for. entertainment, and showing you what might happen in that situation, if not in a graphic way. and sure, games can get a little to graphic, but its for entertainment, not some sort of government conspiracy to make the youth of america some sort of desensitized army. and who dosent enjoy a little bloodshed and mayhem somtimes? but constant viewing of that stuff isnt nesessarily healthy, but its better to be around that stuff in a HEALTHY dose, but not in exess, or completely sheltered from it.

im a teenager who just HAPPENS to like violent video games, but i dont feel like going out there, gutting an old lady and peeing on her after she bled to death(a little to much, i know, but you get my point).