Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #21
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I got a version of this wonderfull game from some place on the net that i didnīt remeber and it got two bugs. Firstly, there is a gold limit, 6890000 gc, maybe with a zero more or less, but if u pass this limit u turn to zero and your money dissapears.
Secondly, there is bug that makes imposible to save and load. Cuz when u reload a previous saved game, u lose most of your saved gold and land acres. U can never be very rich, no way to do it.
Are they fixed in this version?

About weapons, a good player will no care of weaponary, even u can assault Panama or La Habana (400-500 men) with only 200 and win by being too fast and too furious with the sword. There are legends of Pirates!īs players that says that its a Rapier>Longsword>Cutlass>Rapier(already explained), others mystics found that the rapier gives the longest range but the weaker strike, the cutlass the harder strike but shorter range and the longsword its just mediem range with medium strike. In facts, the last explanation its true in Pirates Gold(also in Abandonia) and Pirates 2(fans made version of Pirates! difficult to find but i got it). The chosen one, me, just donīt know what do each weapon but i am good enough to have no problems using all of them.

Last edited by arete; 26-10-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: :)'s
laiocfar is offline                         Send a private message to laiocfar
Old 12-01-2006, 03:58 AM   #22
the c64 version was wonderful..i bought the tape version :blink: when it came out (i didnt have a disk drive at the time)..but i have so many memories of traveling around the carribean..

i bought Pirates Gold on budget but didnt play it much, so, as this is as close to the c64 version, i look forward to trying it out!

Old 12-01-2006, 05:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally posted by WolverineDK @ Jan 11 2006, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightkin @ Jan 10 2006, 11:23 PM
Woho!
The Amiga-Version looked so much better, its unbelievable*
Yeah, but the game is different too on some points, when it comes to divide the plunder.

I just canīt remember what it was precisely, but the Amiga version has some differences when you compare the C64 and pc original. With the Amiga version. And I love the Amiag version too.
The Amiga version let you divide your party, if I recall correctly. You could split your army/armada/whatever, take off in a sloop, divide the plunder, and when you came back all your men would be happy again. It made taking over towns a cinch.

Pirates! is THE abandonware game for me. Whenever people say that its just misty-eyed reminiscing that causes us to think that old games are so good, I point to Pirates! It's the real deal. As playable today as it was back in the late 80's when I played it to death on C64.

Firaxis' new version Sid Meier's Pirates! is great also. If you're a fan of the series and want to play the same game with fancy graphics, check it out.

Last edited by arete; 26-10-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: html

Old 12-01-2006, 09:56 AM   #24

F*ckin best game ever!
Period.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #25
Ramidel
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar @ Jan 12 2006, 04:18 AM
I got a version of this wonderfull game from some place on the net that i didnīt remeber and it got two bugs. Firstly, there is a gold limit, 6890000 gc, maybe with a zero more or less, but if u pass this limit u turn to zero and your money dissapears.
Secondly, there is bug that makes imposible to save and load. Cuz when u reload a previous saved game, u lose most of your saved gold and land acres. U can never be very rich, no way to do it.
Are they fixed in this version?

About weapons, a good player will no care of weaponary, even u can assault Panama or La Habana (400-500 men) with only 200 and win by being too fast and too furious with the sword. There are legends of Pirates!īs players that says that its a Rapier>Longsword>Cutlass>Rapier(already explained), others mystics found that the rapier gives the longest range but the weaker strike, the cutlass the harder strike but shorter range and the longsword its just mediem range with medium strike. In facts, the last explanation its true in Pirates Gold(also in Abandonia) and Pirates 2(fans made version of Pirates! difficult to find but i got it). The chosen one, me, just donīt know what do each weapon but i am good enough to have no problems using all of them.
What you're mostly doing is quoting my opinions

"Fast and furious sword-hacking" is a cutlass specialty and a pinnace can take Cartagena if you're fast enough and good enough with it.

And the traits of the weapons mentioned are -why- the rock-paper-scissors dichotomy exists. Try it yourself and see what I mean.

Last edited by arete; 26-10-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: :)'s
Ramidel is offline                         Send a private message to Ramidel
Old 12-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #26
Guest_Hari Seldon

Great Game

Played it till piggs flew on C64 AND made it to Royal Advisor

The trick is to find your family members as quick as possible and divide the plunder then.

Years back, we drew a map of the game. Challenged everything and discoverd that if you find all of your family within a year (no matter the marriage, land or title), you get into the high rankings.

Then again, that's not the fun part.

Just let me be a Morgan PiratE!

Last edited by arete; 26-10-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: :)'s, also yay, Foundation!

Old 13-01-2006, 05:17 AM   #27
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Beliveme Ramidel, i am not coping u and i tried the the rock-paper-scissors dichotomy but not result, it looks like there isnīt going to come to clear the weapons working in the game.
By the way, Kosta or some other divine power can upload a caribean map, it will be usefull to no Pirates gold players. It reminds me playing the game with a book of pirates near to check maps of each age.
About Sir Henry Morgan (a funny tale from the mapīs book):
-When Morgan took over Portobello (7/16/1668, he asked to Panamaīs governor a sum of 100.000 gc for donīt raze the city. The gobernor told him that he will not spend the kingīs money in a single pirate and asked how a band of criminals could take over the fort of Portobello. Morgan send him a pistol and two bullets, also a letter that reads as follows "...with this i took over Portobello, in a year i will go for take my weapons to Panama...". The peace teatry of 7/8/1670 between Spain and England donīt stoped Morgan from raid Santa Catalina the 22 of deceber of these year. THe strange was that no side taked any loss in that battle, you can imagine what happened? Well read this "...I will surrender this town beacause i donīt got enopugh troops to defend it from yours. I ask to Almirant Morgan that we carry on a little trick to mantain the honor of my officers and my person. There is also a "battle" plan in the letter from the governor.
8 of Jan of 1671, Morgan and his army(1400 mens) reach Panama. In front of the city, there are 2000 men of the cityīs garrison and the silver train guard. The spanish cavalry attack ended when the pirates fired at them killing the 500 mounted soldiers. The battle is about end and the spanish dont made a single shot, when the governor played his secret weapon: an horde of buffalos. But the animals were scared by the pirateīs fire and turned against the defenders ending the battle even quicker. Nobody knows what happened with the two bullets and the Morganīs gun.-
Anyway Morgan was the worst pirate beacause he was the first that doublecrossed his own people, when he took near 5 millons of spanish coronas(a type gc) of the panamaīs bouty (6.000.000 gc).
Old 13-01-2006, 07:05 AM   #28
Gamefreak

Oh yes, I remember that the NES version of the game had the ingame map, selectable to view somewhere in the options.

Old 13-01-2006, 11:21 AM   #29
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

This game is a lot better than Pirates! gold.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 13-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #30
Ramidel
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by laiocfar@Jan 13 2006, 06:17 AM
By the way, Kosta or some other divine power can upload a caribean map, it will be usefull to no Pirates gold players. It reminds me playing the game with a book of pirates near to check maps of each age.
Try getting the manual and using the coordinates in the end. That's all the map I need
Ramidel is offline                         Send a private message to Ramidel