Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #11
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Have you read the review carefully and did what it tells you???
It says the game will exit the first time, but simply run it again - the second time it will work!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 22-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #12
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

I found the free java version of this game: click here
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 22-11-2005, 12:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Nov 22 2005, 12:16 PM
Have you read the review carefully and did what it tells you???
It says the game will exit the first time, but simply run it again - the second time it will work!
Does not work even if I load the game twice becaurse Dosbox is loaded out of memory so it did not see the first "y". (in other words, I have to start dosbox twice).

Old 22-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #14
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

DOSBox out of memory... Well maybe you should try the loadfix command (or try using a DOSBox tool called D-fend).

Loadfix - simply type this and press enter before running the game (should give you more DOSBox memory (I'm no expert, but from what I remember it does just that).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 22-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #15
punch999
The true Shadow President

Awww shucks I really wanted to review this game since I loved elite plus so much
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999
Old 22-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #16
there is also ..

... some reworked source of the original frontier so you can run it natively in x86-linux and windows

some websites that bring you further (including the original you still can get for 5 pound):

Tips and Tricks around elite and newer versions

Reworked version for newer Operating Systems

Support the Original Developers - You can still get it here

Old 22-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #17
Coplann

I still have the original CD of that.

I played through it back in the days. there is a storyline to follow there. also there are like 3-4 game-years of events taking place (the star-race near where you start for instance).

always check the news/bulletin boards.

with the story you will eventually end up with a Thargoid Ship (alien ship with lots of room and the best engine of the game). with that you can explore the whole galaxy without worrying much about fuel. ^^
Coplann is offline                         Send a private message to Coplann
Old 22-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #18
Busses

When I try and run the game (the way that is stated on the review) I get to an intro then when I try to skip through it dosbox exits, Im pretty much stumped. Any help would be appreciated.
Busses is offline                         Send a private message to Busses
Old 22-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #19
MrBackAlleySka
Hero Gamer

Ooo awesome. I have played Elite 1, but never 2 or 3. I always thought they weren't abandonware heh. Anyways, one small question. In the manual, it always refers to your "Sakar" ship, but never any other ships. Im assuming all ship piloting is identical then, but it never actually states, DO you get other ships, other than the one you start with?
MrBackAlleySka is offline                         Send a private message to MrBackAlleySka
Old 22-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #20

Almost identical, since it tries to use real physics instead of just nifty looking stuf like more modern games use, but there are some differences. Those mostly have to do with different engine powers and ship/cargo masses, (and yes, cargo mass matters also) also not all ships have the same sets of manuevering thrusters, which changes what manuevering you can do easilly. Turrets also affect the controls, but not much, tho as already mentioned, the shape of the ship can affect where you can shoot with your turrets.
And yes, you can get other ships, if you can afford them, but that will take quite a while for any halfway reasonable ship unless you are taking a lot of missions, especially the hardcoded ones. You can also choose between a few different starting locations and ships, but the default is much better since it also has the starting ends of three of the hardcoded missions at the very beggining. Walkthroughs are available, but my hint is to drop all combat equipment except for one missile as backup, and take the Wikanware Race mission. Leave fighting alone until you have worked up enough money for a much better ship, since it willjust get you killed otherwise until you actually understand how to fly. And when you are ready to fight, start a new game to test it out, and use other saves. Multiple saves are a must, especially on the hardcoded missions, since there are some crashes related to them.