Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #11
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Underdogs have it

http://files.the-underdogs.org//games/c/ce...iles/celtic.pdf

I'm still long way from finishing the manual of my own
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 09-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #12
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Probably KOEI's most interesting title, from a point of view of non-linear progression. Strong AI, lots of choices every turn. Certainly one of their best, but never caught on because the company dropped their PC line (and closed their California offices) abruptly shortly after its release. They evidently decided they'd lost enough money trying to build an American PC-based market.

I think part of their problem was a typical unwillingness to understand American culture. All their titles (aside from this one) were developed in Japan, even their rather laughable attempt at a pirate game. Instead of focusing on adding features to new releases of older titles, they tried to fob off American audiences with awkward efforts at non-Oriental games, such as one about Napoleon and his times. So the US had to adapt to KOEI, not the other way around. And it didn't work out.

Too bad, because I still treasure titles like Romance of the Three Kingdoms III, Nobunaga's Ambition II, and Genghis Khan II.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 09-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #13
Arslan

Very good game from Koei...
I have a question about it. Playing the game I find out that prestige of my tribe is very important to etablish diplomatic relationship with other tribes but I haven't found how to raise the prestige itself... Could someone help me?
Arslan is offline                         Send a private message to Arslan
Old 09-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #14
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Arslan@Jan 9 2005, 06:25 PM
Very good game from Koei...
I have a question about it. Playing the game I find out that prestige of my tribe is very important to etablish diplomatic relationship with other tribes but I haven't found how to raise the prestige itself... Could someone help me?
It's been a while since I've played it, but I think the number of provinces you control and (possibly) your level has a considerable impact on this.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #15
Chaos

passed the game yesterday....the worst part was fighting balor and his evil eye

oh yeah, one more thing, in the review, it says u can take 9 champions into battle, not true, u can take only 7

Old 10-01-2005, 07:16 AM   #16
goblins
Game Wizzard

this game was tough but it is winnable - was there ever a sequel or game that tried to replicate it later on ?
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins
Old 10-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #17
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by goblins@Jan 10 2005, 08:16 AM
this game was tough but it is winnable - was there ever a sequel or game that tried to replicate it later on ?
Afraid not. It was the last title published in the US, on the PC, by KOEI. They never understood the American market, and until the end, they never bothered using US programmers on their development team. Too bad they pulled the plug just when they got that straightened out, and finally produced a non-Oriental title that might have appealed to US gamers. But they pulled the plug on all PR quickly, and Balor of the Evil Eye made few friends.

For style of gameplay, the nearest thing is King of Dragon Pass. According to A-Sharp, developers of KoDP, that was purely chance: they'd never seen or played KOEI titles. But if you like that sort of thing (and I do, quite a bit), check out A-Sharp's website.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #18
sabaw

can anyone help me?
VDMSound doesnt seem to be emulating this very well with me.
I hear the KOEI logo sound (i tried emulating with DOSBOX but its a bit slow or at least sluggish) but no graphics,
Then i get the message "Click your mouse to enter game" then when i click it, it exits to windows.

Anyone know how to solve this?

Old 12-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #19
KC

:help: The game doesn't seem to work!

I've tried to run the game under Win95, but it doesn't even get me to a intro. When I enter the install.com, all I see are a bunch of XXXXXXX in the various boxes.

Who can help me out here!?

Thank you!

Old 12-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #20
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'm running it in WinXP. Be sure you give it plenty of expanded memory, and turn on compatibility with Win95.