Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

I wanted to know if anybody eles is keeping up with the E3 coverage of new games and hardware and what they thought of it so far.

I have to say after seeing some of the game "Spore" by Simcity creator Will Wright im very eager about the PC gaming even amid all next gen console info. A game where you get to control evolution itself all the way from a single cell lifeform up to a space faring race looks great.

Ive seen some of the footage of the creature creation mode and it looks impressive yet easy to use. It also seems to have a very interesting online section.

Im also very interested in the next gen consoles of course. The price of the PS3 * ouch* $600 for the high end version. But after hearing that online PS3 will feature pretty much everything 360 live offers and be 100% free the price difference wont be that much after a few months of paying for 360 live. So I think it will indeed by my primary system in the future.

I also plan to get a Nintendo Wii (when the price drops) for all my classic gaming, NES,SNES,N64 and a few choice gamecude and wii games.

So whats everyone eles thoughts so far?
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 10-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
TaloN
Hero Gamer

world of warcraft expansion looks promising
TaloN is offline                         Send a private message to TaloN
Old 10-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Ah The Burning Crusade

Yeah that looks sweet. I love how they are increasing the level cap in that to LVL 70. Two new races and a whole new continent among other things
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 10-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Draeni, the race the Orcs nearly destroyed on their homeworld.
Yep, can't wait to play them either.

Also looking forward to the Wii (WHEEEEEE!) after seeing some gameplay of Legend Of Zelda and Red Steel in action, you also get to see how one uses the controller, just go check out Gamespot, it looks really fun.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 11-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

I just saw some footage of "Quake Wars" and have to say it looks impressive. I really like the change to a more contemporary setting for this quake game. Seemed more along the lines of the soldiers in Ghost recon advanced war fighter for the humans side.

But man did any eles catch John Carmack of DOOM fame pretty much dissing both the PS3 and Wii? The PS3 he made it seem like was a pain in the behind to program for (which may be true) he lost me at about asemtrical programming etc... and the Wii he pretty much said was too weak a platform and he would only be working on P3S,360 and PC
Old 11-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Carmack has pretty much been going down hill, you can't really name any "fantastic" games he's recently worked on. And those "fantastic" games mostly just took advantage of hardware and barely provided anything new (Doom 3, Quake 4) so he can pretty much shove it since he doesn't know how to make a game anymore.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Blood-Pigggy@May 11 2006, 09:39 PM
Carmack has pretty much been going down hill, you can't really name any "fantastic" games he's recently worked on. And those "fantastic" games mostly just took advantage of hardware and barely provided anything new (Doom 3, Quake 4) so he can pretty much shove it since he doesn't know how to make a game anymore.
LOL that's rich! pigggy dissing Carmack as a developer! You made my day, thanks!

I think it is not the best thing to diss PS3 and even Wii for their hardware, still, let's wait and see.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #8
Necromagus
Forum hobbit

While Spore looks very interesting and very ambitions, I think some gamers will find it too tedious or become too hung up on a single aspect, like the evolution, the design, or the city building, to fully appreciate the whole package. Still, I know that when I get my hands on a copy of the game I'll be playing it up to space exploration just to get a chance to beam some hapless critters onto a planet with no atmosphere as demonstrated in the gameplay video on Google Video.

As for Carmack, I think the main problem is that he's taking advantage of new hardware possibilities in the wrong way. With new hardware development the focus of FPS gamers has steadily been slipping away from the dark and narrow corridors that once defined the genre. These days they're more interested in the freedom games like Far Cry and Battlefield offer, not the rehash of old concepts that Doom 3 and Quake 4 were. If Doom 3 didn't have the franchise name or the name of the developers to back it up, it wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did, and even then it was still a dissapointment.
Necromagus is offline                         Send a private message to Necromagus
Old 12-05-2006, 01:27 AM   #9
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

C&C 3 soon comes out.

Hopes high, stackes gigantic, and only future tell...
Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 AM   #10
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I found Doom 3 a bit, not boring, but I was tired of it and the lack of enough lighting, even with the mod I got.

Quake 4 I found a much better game, I actually wanted to continue and see what is after the next corner/mission. I enjoyed it more than Far Cry, or Half Life 2 (which in some ways remind me of Doom 3).

I haven't tried either of them online since that desire is still covered easily by Renegade and some times Battlefield 2.

BTW, unless I am mistaken, Carmack had nothing to do with the production of Quake 4.

One FPS that I would love to see is STALKER, which I have no idea what is going on with it. It sounded like a great game 2 years ago when I first heard of it, and still nothing. Smells a bit like another Duke Nukem 2034.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios