Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Now that i finally got a TV with scart, i could finally play Amiga.

I have some Amiga games on my PC (i tried to get Amiga emulator, but...) so here's the question: Is it possible to move Amiga games in normal disks and then play them on Amiga?
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 10-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by TheChosen@Dec 10 2005, 12:53 PM
Now that i finally got a TV with scart, i could finally play Amiga.

I have some Amiga games on my PC (i tried to get Amiga emulator, but...) so here's the question: Is it possible to move Amiga games in normal disks and then play them on Amiga?
YEs, it is, but don't know how. I have amiga emulators and games (used to own an Amiga 1200)....wait....now I am not sure. I know it can easily be done for the atari ST, but I think Amiga used some special formatting/size for its disks. Oh man, I can't remember.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 10-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

You can put your amiga files to a floppy disk. Problem is that you need a special

floppy-drive for it which is very expensive...

Don´t no how it´s named anyway...

But if you own a XBOX you can easily play your roms on a tv.
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 12-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes, you can move all adf (and other formats) images from PC to Amiga. All you need is connection between amiga and PC, workbench on amiga and couple of programs.

Neo, follow the white rabbit. LOL
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 12-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Ah, good to know. Alway thought it would be much mor e complicated. The only possibility I heard of was to buy an extra drive. Is this completely wrong?
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 12-12-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That's just one of the options. There is a list of drives that are compatible with Amiga on that web site.

Serial connection works, but it is slow.

If you have A1200 and network card, then you can network your amiga and speed up things.

I personally don't see point of burning games on floppies, when you can get almost all of them in WHDLoad format. All you need is hard disk, some extra memory and 20 bucks to register WHDLoad.
Old 13-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Anubis@Dec 12 2005, 10:58 PM
I personally don't see point of burning games on floppies, when you can get almost all of them in WHDLoad format. All you need is hard disk, some extra memory and 20 bucks to register WHDLoad.
But its nostalgic to play games on Amiga, right?
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 13-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

With WHDLoad you still play games on amiga, but without floppies. (if you have hd, some extra mem and optionally turbo card)

Most of Amiga games were made in non-dos format, in other words, they were not installable. I used to have A500+ with 20MB hard disk (sound funny today ) and there were just some games I could install and play from HD, but most required floppy drives. WHDLoads fixes this, and makes those games playable from HD.

Some HD games I used to play: UFO:X-Com, Colonization, Settlers, Syndicate, Monkey Island (1 & 2), Simon 1 and Battle Isle 1.

Today you can even play SuperFrog from HD.

For those who love Amiga emulation, there is a program called Lemonade which is a great Amiga frontend. You can download images from the same site, so it is easy to browse and check games. (it will even recognize games from TOSEC)

Same program also has Amiga game quiz, with a lot of questions regarding Amiga games.

Try it and let me know if you like it.