Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
sam adams

Default X-Com Apocalypse, Vista, DOSBox? How?

Noob here. Sorry if this topic has been gone over before. I tried searching for it but couldn't find it.

I'm running a laptop with Vista. I downloaded X-Com Apocalypse from Abandonia. But I have no idea how to install and run it.

I have no experience with DOS or DOSBox. Am I going to need to download DOSBox aswell?

I do own a copy of the game CD if that's at all usefull. Though I haven't had any luck with it since owning a Windows 95 machine.

Any help is much appreciated. I need somewhat of a dummed down "X-Com Apocalypse on Vista for Dummies" explanation. :confused:
sam adams is offline                         Send a private message to sam adams
Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

You will need DOSBox for this one. Download DOSBox (you can find a link to their download site) only make sure you download the right one for your os, most likely the win32 exe (most importantly, you don't want to download the sourcecode).

Install it, and read the FAQs and tutorials found here to get it set up and running properly.

You won't need to install the games found here (don't know about your cd though), all you need to do is to unzip the game into a folder of your choise. Since we're dealing with DOS, any folder (directory) you want to access from within DOSBox should have names not longer than 8 characters.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You will need DOSBox, no question to that.
What are your machine's specs, though? Dosbox alone requires a lot of resources, and you're running it on top of Vista of all things...

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
sam adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fifth_horseman View Post
You will need DOSBox, no question to that.
What are your machine's specs, though? Dosbox alone requires a lot of resources, and you're running it on top of Vista of all things...
It's an HP Pavilion dv2500(Core 2 Duo T7300 processor 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM)
sam adams is offline                         Send a private message to sam adams
Old 04-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

No worries then.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman