Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
altec3220

Default [Scatty] The Adventures of MicroMan

Howdy. I am trying to identify some old games I remember playing at least a decade ago, if not longer. So mid-1990s, probably.

The first was included on a shareware CD along with games like Dare to Dream (which I just identified by searching this forum) and one of the Leisure Suit Larry installments. The CD also had WAV files (Star Trek, Terminator 2, etc.) and some programs and videos. It was a side-scrolling game and I believe only the first level was available. You played as a little red and blue spaceman, I think, and shot blue or red orbs at bad guys. The name may have had "robo" in the title. Maybe "commander" or "captain" as well. The last bad guy in the level was some sort of robotic worm, I think.

The second game was included in a pack of games, all on CD. One was a racing game that I also cannot identify in which you could upgrade your vehicle with weapons. Another involved cavemen. This game was a life simulator, I guess, with a cyberpunk theme. You walk around a city trying to make money, sell things, buy things, interacting with people. It started in an apartment that I think had white walls. You could buy "implants" that gave you knowledge or health or whatever. I know at one point I had the user manual but I lent it to someone and never got it back.

I know these descriptions are vague but any help would be appreciated. If by some chance someone can identify the shareware CD or the game pack that these were included in, that would be even better, but the odds of that seem slim. Thanks!
altec3220 is offline                         Send a private message to altec3220
Old 17-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by altec3220 View Post
It was a side-scrolling game and I believe only the first level was available. You played as a little red and blue spaceman, I think, and shot blue or red orbs at bad guys. The name may have had "robo" in the title. Maybe "commander" or "captain" as well. The last bad guy in the level was some sort of robotic worm, I think.
an obvious guess: commander keen?

Quote:
The second game was included in a pack of games, all on CD. One was a racing game that I also cannot identify in which you could upgrade your vehicle with weapons. Another involved cavemen. This game was a life simulator, I guess, with a cyberpunk theme. You walk around a city trying to make money, sell things, buy things, interacting with people. It started in an apartment that I think had white walls. You could buy "implants" that gave you knowledge or health or whatever. I know at one point I had the user manual but I lent it to someone and never got it back.
racing, cavemen, cyberpunk, walking around, what?!
Old 17-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by altec3220 View Post
The first was included on a shareware CD along with games like Dare to Dream (which I just identified by searching this forum) and one of the Leisure Suit Larry installments. The CD also had WAV files (Star Trek, Terminator 2, etc.) and some programs and videos. It was a side-scrolling game and I believe only the first level was available. You played as a little red and blue spaceman, I think, and shot blue or red orbs at bad guys. The name may have had "robo" in the title. Maybe "commander" or "captain" as well. The last bad guy in the level was some sort of robotic worm, I think.
I think I know which game you mean. It was a (at the time) high-resolution 640x480, little Win 3.0 / 3.1 only game, at the title it also said in some warped voice the name of the game, something like Captain Space or similar. You had also to shoot some flying UFO-similar ships, right? I had it also on an old CD which had many sharewares for Dos and Windows.
However I can't remember the correct name of the game for the sake of it, will try to see if I have any luck with Google.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 17-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

There you go. I think this is your game.
The Adventures of MicroMan - here and here.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 17-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
altec3220

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
racing, cavemen, cyberpunk, walking around, what?!
The racing and cavemen games were separate but included in the same pack (I remember either six or eight CDs laid out on in a thin cardboard box). I am sorry if I did not make that clear. I just identified this one as Circuit's Edge by browsing Moby Games:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/circuits-edge

The graphics are even worse than I remember. And the racing game I remember is Deathtrack:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/deathtrack

They were both included in a PowerHits Sci/Fi compilation set:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/powerhits-scifi

So maybe that is the collection I am remembering. I may be confusing two different collections, one my cousin had and one I had. The caveman game was definitely my cousin's, though. Sorry for wasting everyone's time given how easily I found the name of the game once I started thinking about genres and platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
There you go. I think this is your game.
The Adventures of MicroMan - here and here.
Yes! That is it. I was thinking "robo" rather than "micro." Thank you so much. I never would have found this one.
altec3220 is offline                         Send a private message to altec3220
Old 19-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
Ohne Mitleid
Brazen Pangolin

Default Awestruck and dumbstruck at the same time

Wow Scatty. Just "Wow"
Ohne Mitleid is offline                         Send a private message to Ohne Mitleid