Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #21
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I fact it's the other way around, income-wise. Usually the shows cost a lot for the bands too. Records, on the other hand, are selling themselves (more or less) without the band having to spend a huge heap of money. About what promotes what: I often see bands on tour promoting their latest/upcoming release, but I can't remember seeing records promoting their upcoming tour.

Another thing is that gigs are usually the funnest part for the artist.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #22
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

hmm i am now imagining Michelangelo making a lot of copies of David to promote himself and to sell them and make money. i doubt the value of that statue would be the same as is now (priceless work of art).

what i mena by movie is that they automatically think that if i didnt' get it for free (download - "piracy"), if i didn't have that option that i would go to cinema instead or buy it on DVD ----> WRONG!

that's how they calculate their losses to "piracy". as in: "think of how many people would see this movie in cinema or buy our DVD if it wasn't available for free on internet!"

a lot of crap. i was just fine before the internet came. never bought any Video cassets, went to cinema same as now about once or twice a month depending on movies shown there.

and if anyone noticed suddenly price for a movie jumped when they are on DVD. why? i mean it's same thing only on DVD (ok a bit better media quality but it's not worth 3 itmes more in terms of movie quality -i.e. crap is also available on DVD). just because it's on DVD it cost so much more. as if they filemd a special movie just for DVD.

same goes for music. casette costs 4 eur while CD 10 EUR. any good reason for that? or are they just trying to maximise the profit and are hence no longer working for the benefit of the art?

btw - copyright is called here rights of the author. and authors get payed by state (additionally form tax money) because they are artists.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 04-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #23
velik_m
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 4 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]292847[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I fact it's the other way around, income-wise. Usually the shows cost a lot for the bands too. Records, on the other hand, are selling themselves (more or less) without the band having to spend a huge heap of money. About what promotes what: I often see bands on tour promoting their latest/upcoming release, but I can't remember seeing records promoting their upcoming tour.

Another thing is that gigs are usually the funnest part for the artist.
[/b]
I doubt it, producers/publishers get most of the money from CD's. TLC sold 11 million copies, but each member earned only 35.000$ a year. It's usually less extreme, but bands get little of that record money.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #24
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

They sold 11 million in a year? Or: How much did they make in total from that sale?

Still: I agree that the people who couldn't tell a piono from a tuba get too much of that money.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 4 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]292890[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Still: I agree that the people who couldn't tell a piono from a tuba get too much of that money.
[/b]
Are you talking about producers or the perfomers - it's sometimes hard to tell. I mean if you're talking about some pop crap then I guess it's only right that the producers get more. I mean they're the ones who usually do all the work (pick a person that will sell for its image, make the studio magic so that the sound resembles singing, promote it all so people acctually hear and think they like it and eventually buy the thing). Just compare the amount of work Paris Hilton did for her single Stars and Blind and how much her producer had to do - who should earn more?

And about promotion concerts/albums... Depends again what we are talking about. Some instant hit groups acctually go on tour, jump to the playback, show a few effects and promote their album full of instant hits no body will remember in five year's time. On the other hand there are artists who simply come to stage, sing live and very good and acctually live from their singing on stage. When an album comes out it is usually new material - not heard before on concerts and only some time after the albom release they start including these songs in their concert repertuars - by that time their fan base already know the songs by heart and sings along and enjoys hearing live what they've heard recorded first. But then again - it's a big difference in the quality of the performer, number of concerts done, number of albums out in a period of time.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 04-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #26
nace
Abandonia nerd

Location: Kavadarci, Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of

This site seems kinda suspitious to me - allthough it says that everything is 100% safe, I started downloading Mame32, the download finished, and I didn`t get nothing Or maybe i got myself a nice ugly bug
:angry:

edit: good job with the site (abandonia), it`s fast allright.
nace is offline                         Send a private message to nace
Old 05-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #27
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Frankly I'm in a little predicament here. I'll admit, I do of course download full versions of new games here or there, but at least I will buy them if they are good (I just picked up the retails of UT 2k4 and Battlefield 2... love them). The thing is that I am going to be going away to university in one year or so for software engineering (programing). So I kinda support the warez, but I don't because I don't want to be a part of one of those companies that go belly up or lose a massive ammount of money due to pirating.
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 05-06-2007, 09:03 PM   #28
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'd only illegally download stuff that's pointlessly expensive because whatever company made it practically has a monopoly on it.

Like friggin' Photoshop or AciD Pro Studio, it takes way less money and staff power to develop those damn $400 products than it does for an average software company to develop a video game, that will get sold for $50 a pop and the makers will barely get anything out of it.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #29
Grinder
Funkpilz Inc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Jun 1 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]292468[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
On the board we made a mind map for trade(in the english performance class, not the basic class). I raised my arm and was given the word. I said "barter". And he would say :"I never heard that., I doubt that it exists!" I translated the word or him.
End of the story was we went to the school-library in the break and I had to show him the word in the dictionary and he had to concede in front of the class that I was right.[/b]
Been there, done that.
About C:
The biggest problem is that most people at this age seem to think that all those musicians are already wealthy enough, so downloading 2 or 3 of their albums won't hurt them. In my experience, people who base arguments on stuff like that are hopeless cases. They won't change.
Grinder is offline                         Send a private message to Grinder