Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #21
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Err... isn't SP2 out for almost two years now? Why would you NOT patch leaks in an OS for two years? Are you also people who don't run Virus-Scanners 'cause they get a FPS less in games? :wallbash:
Sorry, but you get your car regularly tested, right? Maintain your OS, ffs. Even Linux-users patch their Kernels and not without reason... New technologies, new threats and new fixes come out all the time... I installed SP2 the day it came out!
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 31-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #22
Cloudy
Game freak

I didn't install SP2 when it came out, but as far as I know it's in automatic updates now anyways so it should come automatically if that's switched on.
Cloudy is offline                         Send a private message to Cloudy
Old 01-11-2006, 01:44 AM   #23
JJXB
Pi-voh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reup @ Oct 31 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]264619[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Err... isn't SP2 out for almost two years now? Why would you NOT patch leaks in an OS for two years? Are you also people who don't run Virus-Scanners 'cause they get a FPS less in games? :wallbash:
Sorry, but you get your car regularly tested, right? Maintain your OS, ffs. Even Linux-users patch their Kernels and not without reason... New technologies, new threats and new fixes come out all the time... I installed SP2 the day it came out!
[/b]
can you blame people for not wanting to upgrade straight away if they hear about god-knows how many bugs/incompatibilities initially? you wouldn't want to install an update and find it screws up your computer. once the bugs are fixed then fair enough but i don't see how you can say upgrade straight away when you don't know possible side effects. i took the same attitude with firefox 2 - a board i go to posted it a day early but i didn't upgrade until i confirmed it wouldn't cause problems. i'd say wait until you upgrade any software and see what feedback other users give then poss. upgrade.

and in reference to the FPS > Virus scanner comment, have you tried running a power hungry anti-virus as well as a power-hungry game? it lags the computer like mad. i use a good a/v now but in the past, i found some a/v software were resource hogs so don't just assume those people are stupid as a resource heavy a/v at the same time as a game can make it unplayable. i don't object to the concept of protection but at the cost of usasbility?? would you rather be able to use your apps or be safe but you can't use the apps that you intended to use as a result? i know which one i'd go for and it's usabilty than protection.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 01-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #24
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

If I want to play a game where I have to disable the av scanner, I also cut off my IN connection. That ought to be enough...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #25
nace
Abandonia nerd

Location: Kavadarci, Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of

I installed Service Pack 2 yesterday, only this time without installing any additional patches and such crap. I was forced to do so, because a virus ate about 10 computers on the net where I`m connected (sort of LAN, a student`s thing), and only Service Pack 2 is imune to it.

By now I have no problem.

IMPORTANT:

Before installing SP2 make sure you have installed SP1 first!
nace is offline                         Send a private message to nace
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #26
Rinforzando
Forum hobbit

Another good reason to upgrade to SP2. Microsoft no longer support anything older than it.
End of support for Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows XP Service Pack 1
Course, at some point they'll withdraw support for SP2 too. It's all just a marketing tactic to get us to buy Vista. <_<