Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 AM   #1
Evad
Game freak

hey people. I used to have a compaq and the re-installing windows wizard worked perfectly. Now I am sick of having to delete all the AoL stuff so I got a hold of an plain windows disk. The trouble is that I can't seem to figure out how to format my c: and reinstall on it. I tried just useing the windows cd, and it automatically loads the instalation files onto c:. When I try and select C; for the installation it prompts to format and when i say yes then tells me the installation files are there and to pick another partition...argh. ok so i try and manually delete it all, and it works until Iget to my documents and settings folder, where it tells me when IO try and delete it that access is denied. I'm thinking that it still has the admin settings from the old os. I'm lost. Please someone with the know how tell me how I can get rid of this folder.
ps: when I check the properties of the folder, it says "read only" and I unselect it and click apply. but this just reverts back as soon as I try and delete it.
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 09-12-2005, 02:39 AM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

IT sounds like at some point you choose to leave the original OS as it is, that is why it tells you you cannot install/format it. Be careful you do not choose a wrong option at all. IF all fails then delete all partitions.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 09-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Boot from the Windows cd (I presume it's 2000 or XP) It'll automatically start the setup. Choose 'New Install' (or something similar) and when it asks about partitions, simply delete the C-partition (which you have to confirm about two or three times) and re-create it afterwards. It'll ask wether you want to format it and off course you say 'yes' (and select NTFS). After that you've got a completely clean C: with nothing on it but your OS. Good luck.
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 09-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

and what windows are you using?
well if you are using xp, do as Reup said
if you are using win98, then make boot disk(flooppy), it's somewhere in control pannel then boot from that disk and format disk.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Change the boot sequence in BIOS to start with CD-ROM first.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
Evad
Game freak

ok just to reiterate. It is xp, so I change bootup sequence to cd rom first, then reboot with the cd in the drive. ok, I understand this, but will it allow me to select where it loads the instalation files, because that is my problem here. What happens right now is I put the cdrom in the drive, reboot, and when it asks me what I want to do, and I select new instal, it loads the instalation files onto c: without asking me if I'd rather have it on f:. Is it not possible to right click and format a partition with an os, or fragments of an os on it? Isn't there some kind of override deletion software that will forcibly remove this stuff? Just thought I'd pick your brains cause I'm afraid that if I try this I may screw my computer up and this is my only one at the moment. If I don't hear from anyone in a few hours I'll try again.

Checking back soon.
ps: it won't even let me delete the partition. I tried in explorer and it says it can't, I tried deleting the folder and it tells me access is denied, and when I try and format through the setup it says the installation files are on c: and to pick another partition.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Explorer? I am talking about the non windows installation of XP program. So after you set as a first booting device the cdrom, place the cd of xp there, reboot, you should load the what looks like dos based setup program. After you choose that you want a new installation it should ask you where you want it (partition wise), where you will propably just have one option C: At that point you should be able to choose the C: partition and press the button that deletes the partition (I think it is L or K but can't remember).
If you are not having this setup load at all or you do not get the options, I have no idea why it is happening. Can you possibly take photoes of the screens?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 AM   #8
Evad
Game freak

sorry, when I tried formatting in explorer, it was after I installed windows on my other hard drive(f, and I was totally out of the Windows xp instalation program thinky(excuse my lack of nomenclature).
anyways thanks for the advise, I will try all these things. Basically all I want to do is format c:. I have windows insatalled on my other drive and I just want to have a clean drive to install all of my games.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:33 AM   #9
Evad
Game freak

Yipee!! it worked, thanks to all of you who helped me