Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-01-2005, 09:37 PM   #11
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jan 4 2005, 10:12 PM
What exactly is that dos32a thing? While your link prove usefull, it is not very informative or explicative IMHO.
dos32a is an open source replacement for dos4gw (and other dos extenders) its a heeeeell of a lot faster.

yeah the guide isnt exactly more than the bare minimum listing because i did it in 5 minutes

its more aimed at the people who had a good go at tweaking it themselves already..

i will eventually get round to doing a step by step guide.. im hoping that other people will test if they get the same results. it might be that other sound cards need different settings
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 04-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
Koen
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jan 4 2005, 09:34 PM
All the help i could throw at you already been mentioned in this thread Koen. DOSBox is the best software I know about, VDMSound will allow you to play most DOS games in WinXP since the sound is usually the biggest problem... But it won't solve any speed problem which may arise, which DOSBox would solve.

If you can't run DOSBox decently, you should not run WinXP in the first place. This is only my personnal oppinion, but that's really what I think.

If you can you should try to get Win98 SE if you really can't get a faster computer. And I would recommend at least 1 gig mhz for DOSBox.
Isn't a 875 mhz machine enough to run winXP? I even run Half Life 2, and Doom 3 with this machine. So why can't a 'simpler' game like 'blood' ot 'doom' (yeah even doom!) be played using a dos emulator? Even ps2/gba emulators are working great.

I'm not going back to windows 98, because doom 3 doesn't support win98 anymore...

Thanks for that link xoopx! I'll try it out.
Koen is offline                         Send a private message to Koen
Old 04-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #13
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Koen+Jan 4 2005, 10:39 PM****
QUOTE (Koen @ Jan 4 2005, 10:39 PM)
******QuoteBegin-Eagle of Fire@Jan 4 2005, 09:34 PM
All the help i could throw at you already been mentioned in this thread Koen. DOSBox is the best software I know about, VDMSound will allow you to play most DOS games in WinXP since the sound is usually the biggest problem... But it won't solve any speed problem which may arise, which DOSBox would solve.

If you can't run DOSBox decently, you should not run WinXP in the first place. This is only my personnal oppinion, but that's really what I think.

If you can you should try to get Win98 SE if you really can't get a faster computer. And I would recommend at least 1 gig mhz for DOSBox.
Isn't a 875 mhz machine enough to run winXP? I even run Half Life 2, and Doom 3 with this machine. So why can't a 'simpler' game like 'blood' ot 'doom' be played using a dos emulator? Even ps2/gba emulators are working great.

I'm not going back to windows 98, because doom 3 doesn't support win98 anymore...

Thanks for that link xoopx! I'll try it out. [/b][/quote]
hah i had a friend's 166mhz machine running xp.. although with 320 mb of ram.
memory is more of requirement for xp than cpu, although obviously over 500mhz is a very good idea.

dosbox is so demanding because its emulating the soundcard, the graphics card, the cpu, the whole shebang of an old p.c -at a lot of accuracy (accuracy = slower) and its all done by your p.c's cpu - the 3d card doesnt help like it probably does in a ps2 emulator
Old 04-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #14
Koen
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by xoopx@Jan 4 2005, 11:49 PM
dosbox is so demanding because its emulating the soundcard, the graphics card, the cpu, the whole shebang of an old p.c -at a lot of accuracy (accuracy = slower) and its all done by your p.c's cpu - the 3d card doesnt help like it probably does in a ps2 emulator
Why can't it just USE the soundcard, the graphics card etc etc instead of EMULATE it... :blink:
Old 04-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #15
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Koen+Jan 4 2005, 10:55 PM****
QUOTE (Koen @ Jan 4 2005, 10:55 PM)
******QuoteBegin-xoopx@Jan 4 2005, 11:49 PM
Why can't it just USE the soundcard, the graphics card etc etc instead of EMULATE it... :blink: [/b][/quote]
its mostly because the games of the time were specifically programmed for certain types of hardware, and wont work with modern ones.. or even old ones that were built after the game was made. those old games are very fussy. later dos games that used a lot of memory could be a real pig to run even on the machines they were meant for! with dosbox they aim to have a complete p.c emulated so that you can run it on a mac or whatever future computer you want to port the emulator to. you`ll be grateful in 10 years when you have a 200 ghz pc running linux version 24322354 or something
Old 04-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #16
Koen
Game Wizzard

I tried your link, and now I can't get past the 'monolith productions' screen. Keys are not responding and everything it just not working...

.EDIT. Erm... used nolfb.com, but can't get past 'blood' screen (the screen after 'monolith productions'...
Old 04-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #17
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Koen@Jan 4 2005, 11:40 PM
I tried your link, and now I can't get past the 'monolith productions' screen. Keys are not responding and everything it just not working...

.EDIT. Erm... used nolfb.com, but can't get past 'blood' screen (the screen after 'monolith productions'...
well if you havent used cli2nop you need to set the cli/popf workaround in vdmsound, but you should use cli2nop, and all the other crap in my link!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #18
Koen
Game Wizzard

I used cli2nop.exe on blood, and now blood won't even run anymore...

(For now I just turned the sound off, by choosing 'no soundcard')
Old 04-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #19
xoopx
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Koen@Jan 4 2005, 11:54 PM
I used cli2nop.exe on blood, and now blood won't even run anymore...

(For now I just turned the sound off, by choosing 'no soundcard')
aye carimba!

that shouldnt happen. i think i had a similar weird problem once, where some part of vdmsound had crashed during my experiments, and rebooting fixed it..
Old 04-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #20
Koen
Game Wizzard

I guess a restart is needed: my soundcard doesn't work anymore too...