Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #21
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Feb 12 2005, 08:47 AM
I beleive the most influencial game of all time award goes to Pong.

Enough said.
I agree with Pong. Without Pong, you guys wouldn't be able to answer Wolf3D, Doom or any other game that influenced the industry. Those games are big influences, I agree (and don't forget Kings Quest 1. Giant influence as well), but they're not the biggest one. The biggest influence's the one that started it all. Without that, this industry wouldn't even be. The one that started it all is Pong. Hence Pong is the biggest influence.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 14-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #22
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

Arkanoid. k:
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 15-02-2005, 01:29 AM   #23
Ajax
Forum hobbit

I may be biased towards adventure games, but it's my opinion that the King's Quest series really paved the way for some of my favorite games like the Quest for Glory series and the Gabriel Knight series. King's Quest isn't necessarily on my favorites list, but it's whole type-in interface really made you think more in those early games of that genre.
Ajax is offline                         Send a private message to Ajax
Old 15-02-2005, 01:42 AM   #24
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Not to forget the Zelda series... k:
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 15-02-2005, 03:47 AM   #25
GraveDigger
Game Wizzard

Send a message via ICQ to GraveDigger

In my opinion, every genre has one or maybe more influential games, but since I am an adventure gamer, I would say that Myst was an influential game with over 4 million copies sold in the first quarter. Myst was a trendsetter and even today we find many latest games known as Myst-Clones.
GraveDigger is offline                         Send a private message to GraveDigger
Old 15-02-2005, 05:12 AM   #26
Ferna182
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to Ferna182

Diablo
Doom
Quake
Space Quest
Sonic
Ein Platz für dein Herz
Ist schon reseviert
Ferna182 is offline                         Send a private message to Ferna182
Old 15-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #27
Xikarita
Abandonia nerd

Super Mario for the NES
Old 17-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #28
gildedgirth
Abandonia nerd

Sebatianos: Hehe thanks for the compliment. The long post tells you how much of a gamer I am. =) And yeah Maniac Mansion is a classic game. Love that game. I was into text adventure's (Infocom/Scott Adam games) at the time so I didn't get to play it till long afterward. Lucas Art's SCUMM system is definitely influential.

Calamity: Last Express! I was just talking about this game to friend the other day. What an underrated game. While maybe not influential because most people didn't play it, the creator, Jordan Mechner, definitely is influential. I loved this guy's games, like original Prince of Persia series, Karateka, etc. If I can find the link, there is a very interesting article by Jordan Mechner on Last Express, on why it was so innovative, and his thoughts on despite that fact it was critically acclaimed why it didn't sell well. Another game, along with Autoduel and others that belong in the "It should have been influential and sold millions of copies category".

GraveDigger: Yeah most definitely Myst. I forget the figures but I once heard how many copies that game sold and it was a staggering amount. Definitely an influential game.

Ajax: yeah, next to Lucas Art's SCUMM adventure system, Sierra Online's point & click games (thier first AGI system) are the most influential. While Sierra had other seminal Adventure games before King's Quest (Mystery House was the 1st??), King's Quest is probably the game that made Sierra most famous at the time.

Fawfulhasfury: Yeah, whle I'd say Breakzone on the atari (or even pong) was a big hit and predates Arkanoid, definitely Arkanoid is still the most played and more influential now since more people still play it. I love that game.

Kon-Tiki: I remember my uncle bringing home the first console system I ever saw. I was so young, but I was mesmerized by playing Pong on the TV and I thought it ruled because it could play 5 different variations of Pong!. Wish my uncle still had that. Must be a collectors item now.

DonCorleone: Zelda is a classic. Shigeru Miyamoto, the Nintendo game creator is a genious. Hard to say though which is the most influential of console (not PC) rpgs. Zelda & Final Fantasy both have thier "influential-merits". Zelda pre-dates FF here in the US since, and I remember playing it on the original Nintendo long ago (although FF games did come out on the original nintendo as well). However it seems currently FF is the bigger franchise. I see an argument go either way.

gildedgirth is offline                         Send a private message to gildedgirth
Old 17-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #29
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Dont forget prince of persia...
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 04-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #30
Velcrow

excellent points everyone you have sure not wasted my time
I myself still am an avid and active wolf 3d player
I first beat it at two years old
I loved doom
I had nightmares for months after playing it