Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
ArmedArmor

Default Bloody adventure game with a bipedal fox in a haunted forest

Greetings!! I recently saw this section. So after months of lurking, I decided to give it a shot with an old game that's been bugging me.

It was an adventure game, and played like most point'n'click adventures do.
It ran on Windows 95/98, and I had found it on some magazine coverdisk (possibly freeware).

The graphics reminded of some old 2D 16-color VGA games for DOS, and were quite pixelized, to the point of appearing "dirty". The perspective was something between top-down and isometric.

-The player assumed the role of a brown fox walking around a haunted forest (withered trees, arid land, etc.), and had to exit it in one piece.
-The brown fox was walking on two legs and was dressed in plain clothes, like anthropomorphic animals in fairy tales do.
-The forest was like a maze, most screens were identical, and it was easy to get lost (like the final dungeon in Zelda:Link's Awakening, if that's of any help).
-The player had to gather some items in the inventory and use them in the right screens.

Apart from the haunted forest, the game was extremely gory. In various corners of the forest, if the hero didn't have the right item, he died in various ways. Like, being impaled, a gray troll tearing him in pieces, zombies eating his guts, or any combination of the above.

The only music I remember hearing in this game was
a) in the title screen, and
b) in the dying sequences.
The music tracks were very simplistic, and the only SFX I remember were the sounds of stakes, weapons and moans when the hero died.

I think the title screen showed the fox's portrait in a close-up view, and the black forest in the background, with eyes watching from it.

So, this is all I can remember. Thank you in advance, people.
ArmedArmor is offline                         Send a private message to ArmedArmor
Old 24-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Is it Inherit the Earth ?
Old 25-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
ArmedArmor

Sorry, but it's not the one.
The one I'm talking about had older-looking graphics, more pixelized and with lesser colour depth.
Another thing I might have not mentioned before: there was no "action bar" (no options like "look", "walk", "open", etc.) in it, the gameplay was rather simplified.
Also, the whole game seemed to be made of that haunted-forest maze. It was definitely not as colourful as "Inherit the Earth".
ArmedArmor is offline                         Send a private message to ArmedArmor
Old 30-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
Friner
Lurker

I know it has been a while since you posted this, but I happen to know what game you're talking about.
The name of the game is The Darkest Night, and it was one of my favorite games back in my childhood. I actually scared a lot of my friends with this game
I was trying to find this game on the internet but had no success, so I searched in my old CD-ROMS and found it there!

I uploaded the file on this link: (You may need to use DOSBox to run it)
DOWNLOAD

BTW here is a screenshot of the main screen so you will know if we are talking about the same game:
Friner is offline                         Send a private message to Friner