Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Abandonia Case Files
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
jollybb

Default [Megaten] Castles II: Siege & Conquest

Hi,
this one should be fairly easy, although cannot locate the name myself. Thanks in advance

I played the game somewhere between 1990-1994. It was a medieval themed strategy, with a map being being shown as the main part of the UI.

The key thing is that there were video cut scenes played upon action taking. The videos were small in size, played from within the UI (something like 80x60 pixels) & totally black & white. Clearly they were videos, not animations. Sort of a very early appliance of MPGs

Even at one moment i thought i recognized the actual movie those short scenes were taken from. One scene was a battle cry, other a charge etc. I did not play the game a lot & don't remember much more. Overall the whole screen game had a 'marble' feel (I think), but the videos should pinpoint it for you.

Castles/Castles 2 come to mind, but no videos there.
jollybb is offline                         Send a private message to jollybb
Old 15-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Megaten
Abandonia nerd

actually, the CD releases of Castles II feature a fair amount of video, both of documentary clips (from a BBC series) and short monochrome scenes for certain events (taken from 1930s B&W films):

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ca...st/screenshots
Megaten is offline                         Send a private message to Megaten
Old 15-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
jollybb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaten View Post
actually, the CD releases of Castles II feature a fair amount of video, both of documentary clips (from a BBC series) and short monochrome scenes for certain events (taken from 1930s B&W films):

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ca...st/screenshots

touche again! indeed, looks like i got fooled by this late release of castles 2 with video. this is defo it.

thanks!
jollybb is offline                         Send a private message to jollybb
Old 16-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Vanshilar
Abandonia nerd

Additionally, Castles 2 won't play the videos if they're not in the directory -- since IIRC the game itself was about 4 MB while the videos were something like 7 MB, so you might have gotten a "truncated" version that saves on the space if you didn't find the videos in your version. But yes, it played short B&W videos in the lower right part of the screen; incidentally, there are some "extra" videos (not accessible via normal gameplay, but viewable by changing filenames) of when they were testing the feature out that's part of the video set.

(Darn...I was one day late )
Vanshilar is offline                         Send a private message to Vanshilar