Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-04-2016, 03:05 AM   #1
A Guest
Exclamation SimLife - Need help!

I can't seem to get SimLife to work on DOSbox.
In the past, I've dealt with issues with Wolf, Lion and SimAnt (Lion was the worst because in order for it to start up I needed to type 'C:\lion\lion.exe' rather than just 'Lion' and I had to research this) but despite what I've tried, nothing is working.
I do what you normally do to play a game on DOSbox where you extract the files, make a shortcut then drag that shortcut onto the DOS, however everything I've typed in has resulted in:
"Illegal command"

I would really like some help on how to get it working, it looks really interesting.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Did you get it from Abandonia? It's a 16-bit Windows program, so it won't work in DOSBox or 64-bit Windows. If you're running Linux it might work in Wine.

Anyway, you can install Windows 3.x in DOSBox to run the game. Abandonia even offers a pre-installed Windows 3.11 ready to be run in DOSBox:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770
Old 04-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
A Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
Did you get it from Abandonia? It's a 16-bit Windows program, so it won't work in DOSBox or 64-bit Windows. If you're running Linux it might work in Wine.

Anyway, you can install Windows 3.x in DOSBox to run the game. Abandonia even offers a pre-installed Windows 3.11 ready to be run in DOSBox:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770

I see.
I have downloaded it but I can't seem to get it to install properly. It asks me to select what program created it, and when I press 'search the web' it brings me to a site that won't let me view the English file association.
I'm sorry, I'm not very experienced with programs like this.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Check DOSBox guide, please. It must answer most of your possible question.

In short: DOS games doesn't work properly on the modern windows (and doesn't work at all at x64 machines). Same about Linuxes and Macs.

DOSBox is multiplatform attempt to create "virtual" DOS, aimed to play games - i.e. it's not _exactly_ work like real DOS would, but good enough to run most of games.

So you run DOSBox as "shell", and run your game inside this DOSBox, as if you would be not in your OS, but in DOS. It will work for the most of DOS games.

Win 3.x games is trickier, as it wouldn't work in DOS too - it needs it's own shell. Windows 3.11 on site works for that.

So for Win 3.x game you:

1. Run DOSBox.
2. Run Win 3.11 in the DOSBox.
3. Run the game under Win 3.11 under DOSBox.

Again: check guide above, please, for the important details.