Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-08-2005, 06:22 AM   #21
Gerarde

Quote:
Originally posted by JosieB@Jun 23 2005, 11:50 AM
Hi

Just to add to Flop's review of Gateway2 - it seems to work well in Windows XP (installed in C:\Gateway2) I got all the Introduction which didn't come up in DOSBox. The only trouble with XP - No Music

Please can someone get me into Mission Control? I've got the tuning fork and explored the Conference Room, Lab and the tram station. I have all the Hints on this site but can't find a "console" to type into. I know - not very good am I?

Thanks
Jo
I made it there when i was 6 years old....... i think i was 6. anyways, im 16 now and im looking for my old favourites. if anyone can help me with a recommendation speed (i cant get most games to stop jumping.) i would be much obliged.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:51 AM   #22
Artemis Lynn

Okay, I'm a DOSBox noob, so work with me on this one.

Recognizing my ignorance, I took full advantage of the on-site DOSBox tutorial. I could run the original Gateway great, and finished it in due time. Now I want to play the supposedly way-awesomer sequel of the way-awesome game, and I too am having save problems. I tried messing with the specifics of the .conf file, I tried remounting the original C:\ drive and running it from there. I even tried running it without DOSBox on my plain ol' XP DOS from C:\GATEWAY2, and had no luck with any of the above.

I'm dying for suggestions, if anyone has got one.

Old 26-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #23
Guest_ChronoSerge

When I load the game up with dosbox, the intro music starts but no graphics on scree...so when you click escape to skip the missing intro, it says it's missing the restart.dat file and then puts you into the first room of the game :P This doesn't effect all teh cut scenes does it? or only the intro?.

Old 30-09-2005, 01:15 AM   #24
Guest_ChronoSerge

Anyone have an answer to this?

Old 30-09-2005, 08:02 PM   #25
Flop
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest_ChronoSerge@Sep 30 2005, 02:15 AM
Anyone have an answer to this?
Well, I don't have a file called restart.dat and I've never had the game ask for it. So I don't see why it should be a problem.

As far as I can remember I got all the cutscenes in the game, including the intro.

I'm sorry, but that's all the help I can give you.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 28-10-2005, 05:31 AM   #26
PassingThrough

POSSIBLE ISSUE RESOLUTION:

As others here have mentioned, I had both key issues with Abandonia's and other's Gateway 2 packages:

(1) When running the game, either directly in Windows XP (double-clicking on HOME.EXE) or through the latest version of DOSBox (I'm also using D-Fend), everything was initially blank. So that those with this problem are aware, when you start the game you should normally see the Legend Entertainment presents blurb, followed by a few text/graphic "cutscenes" explaining a little backstory. Unfortunately, what we are seeing is nothing but a black screen. Pressing space will sometimes flicker the screen (what it is doing is cycling the cutscenes - you just don't see the graphics and text). Pressing ESC will take you to the first room in the game.

(2) Save games are not working (at all).

I tried MANY different proposed resolutions from this and other forums and none worked. What ended up resolving my issue was the ENDING SLASH IN THE LEGEND.INI FILE! As most of you know, this file has to be adjusted to point to the directory you are using for Gateway 2. The install from the CD sets this directory based on whether you want to run some components from the CD. For our purposes, all the directories should be set to the same location. But you MUST use the ending slash. For example:

C:\GATEWAY2

will cause problems, but:

C:\GATEWAY2\

should fix both of the above issues. As a further background, I figured it out when I saw a GATEWAY2.SAV file in the directory above my install. Because there was no ending slash, it was incorrectly SAVING and NAMING the game file. Therefore, the game doesn't know how to read it for the restore.

I would recommend you use only 8 character names for the any part of the directory structure, but it does NOT HAVE TO BE C:\GATEWAY2! My current directory structure is:

D:\PC\DOS\GATEWAY2

I've also tried variations such as GW2 without issue.

Finally (I'm known for writing too much, but hopefully it's helpful), the RESTART.DAT mentioned in a couple of posts is auto-generated by the game WHEN YOU RUN IT. It doesn't get generated properly without the ending slash - hence some people are missing it. It should not actually have anything to do with the above two issues though.

I HOPE THAT IS HELPFUL!!!

Old 05-01-2006, 02:45 AM   #27
J.P.

Thumbs up

Uh, (i've read the previous posts btw), I'm still getting a message that says it's missing restart.dat after I press escape after seeing a black screen.

And somebody had better reply to this and not just ignore my post like people did with the other gateway game (which I figured out on my own eventually)

-J.P.
J.P. is offline                         Send a private message to J.P.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 AM   #28
cygma

simply this adventure completes the triad of the best sci-fi adventures of all times: blade runner, tex muprhy and gateway 2. If only legend had released more adventures about this story.Got to read the novels now!! MYST PLAY!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #29

Just for summarizing it.

Best for game is to installing it in c:\gateway2 or c:\gw2, you should alter the legend.ini accordingly.

When you did it the game will create restastart.dat file and allow you to make a saves.

For enabling the music under Win2k/XP you will need to have installed VDM driver - http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

Old 27-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #30
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Ok. For those who will encouter this problem in the future:

Don't drag the 'Home.exe' over the dosbox icon. That will mount the game containing folder as drive c. But the game's looking for C:\Gateway2.
So you have two options:

1. Mount your drive manually in dosbox. You should mount that folder as drive C: which contains the Gateway2 folder.

2. Drag the entire folder which contains the Gateway2-folder over the dosbox.exe.

And everything will run smooth...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone