Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
a1s
Hero Gamer

when I was about 5, my grandfather brought an old PC/XT (22 megs of hard meomory, 5-inch floppies...) from somewhere, so he could work at home (he was a programmer). Me and my uncle naturaly took advantage of having such a wonderous machine at home (by having games installed on it).
Now, this was 15 years ago, the computer is long lost and so are the games. some of them I have managed to find (Mech warrior 1, Stargose or Aaargh!), but not others. SoI decided to exploit the comunity and FIND MY CHILDHOOD GAME COLLECTION!
As you know, knowing (preferably the title) is 99 percent of finding, so for most part only descriptions will be supplied, not names.

1)the game was set in space. There were two oponents (you and computer) you are green, he is red. each has a base and 8 ships (i think it was 8...), which could shoot misles and lay mines. 4 levels of zoom, the highest represented the overal map. the objective is to destroy the base (naturaly). EGA grphics (or worse), very promitive. I'm 80% certain that the ships were just triangles. allso, all of the 8 ships were on the battlefield at the same time, and I belive you could switch between them at will. they had no ai though, so they wouldn't do you much good in combat as wingmen.

2)now, I'm pretty sure the game is called Star Wars, but I might be wrong. you have to pilot a craft that looks like a telephone handle (well, I was a child), in a straight line, the scenery is CGA for most part (the kind of purple and light blue scheme), execept for some parts (tunnels?) that were in green and yellow on black. it had 1-st person view (you know, "from the cockpit", and it would probably be like a normal flight sim, if it could actulay turn away from it's course- which is a straight line, as far as I remeber.)

3)A puzzle type game (I think...) where you are some sort of prsioner, and you are guarded by robots, which change from day to night. there was a coin in the room where you first appear, under the mattress. there was a room with lowering cieling somewhere along the way (I din't really play it as much as watched my uncle play). Black and grey.

4)this next game has doubtly reached any recognition outside CIS, but i'll try anyway: the game had a blue intro screen, on which there was something about the long lost russian art of fistfighting in yellow letters (pretty). the first stage consisted of 5 one on one training matches, the better you do, the better you warriors stats are (represented by an arm with a bigger or smaller muscle) our guys were in blue, the enemy in red (or purple?). the second stage was a 5 on 5 battle with the enemy, if any of your guys die, they are out of the game. the third stage was with skulls on poles, you could move around freely, if you touched the skulls you died, and I never really got any further. VGA, no doubt. <span style="font-family:Impact">FOUND</span> (Собор) thanx to: _r.u.s.s.

5)some guy in a striped outfit (made me think of a prisoner) is trying to avoid some sort of blocks (construction? I clearly remeber steel, concrete, and brick ones), oddly enough I don't remember what the exact objective was. the outro was a picture of this man sleeping in front of a monitor (with this game, i believe) at the morning dawn.

6)you were playing a sort of wingless parrot (I think it was called minister, or possibly democrat) that jumped between these circles that would decrease until they were gone and then reappear in a different place. if you were on it when it dissapeared you would die.in each stage you had to get from lower left corner to upper right. on later stages there were allso evil red creatures (Buerocrats or possibly Communists) that would eat you if they were on the same circle. there were probably other political terms there.I think it had a picture of Kremlin in the intro. and 256 colors. <span style="font-family:Impact">FOUND</span> (Toppler)

I will add more (and mark solved ones) as I remember them/you find them.
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 30-09-2005, 07:57 AM   #2
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

The first one sounds like Star Control (the melee fights), and the second could be Defender.
Old 30-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #3
a1s
Hero Gamer

both mises.

game 1 had very promitive grpahics. I'm 80% certain that the ships were just triangles. allso, all of the 8 ships were on the battlefield at the same time, and I belive you could switch between them at will. they had no ai though, so they wouldn't do you much good in combat as wingmen.

game 2 had 1-st person view (you know, "from the cockpit", and it would probably be like a normal flight sim, if it could actulay turn away from it's course- which is a straight line, as far as I remeber.)
Old 30-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

Did the number 2 look like http://www.evl.uic.edu/aej/526.old/p...ars_screen.gif ?
Old 30-09-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
a1s
Hero Gamer

well it looked somewhat similar, but it definetly had less colors.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Ohh, I know the last one (5). It's called brickman. The prisoner's throwing bricks down and you've gotta avoid them. I think I still have it.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
a1s
Hero Gamer

I remebered another game:
you were playing a sort of wingless parrot (I think it was called minister, or possibly democrat) that jumped between these circles that would decrease until they were gone and then reappear in a different place. if you were on it when it dissapeared you would die.in each stage you had to get from lower left corner to upper right. on later stages there were allso evil red creatures (Buerocrats or possibly Communists) that would eat you if they were on the same circle. there were probably other political terms there.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #8
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

2 sounds a bit like Starglider
3 sounds a bit like Escape from eh planet of the robots I think.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@May 8 2006, 09:14 PM
2 sounds a bit like Starglider
3 sounds a bit like Escape from eh planet of the robots I think.
2 is not starglider.

and 3 had by far less colors. allso the main charecter was larger. allso I think it was more of a puzzle game.
EDIT: wait, soory, what I found was "Escape from The Planet of Robot Monsters", I will keep looking for the one you mentioned.

allso about number 6, I think it had a picture of Kremlin in the intro. and 256 colors.
Old 24-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
a1s
Hero Gamer

hey I found out what number six is:Toppler