Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Japo
Autonomous human

Default Whale Voyage 2 Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post

- Whale Voyage 2 - Game (Unknown) *if YOU UPLOADER want credit for it then post in your Offers-Thread*
This looks like the same one game as the one in the folder "Whale's Voyage II", submitted by Songbird and Smiling Spectre, but this is probably the German version. I'm not sure but it might come from Songbird too.
Old 29-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
This looks like the same one game as the one in the folder "Whale's Voyage II", submitted by Songbird and Smiling Spectre, but this is probably the German version. I'm not sure but it might come from Songbird too.
just great. there is now 3 different WV 2 Folder in Game archive....

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco
Old 29-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

One of the submissions was about enabling the English translation, out of an existing archive which is probably another one of those submissions.

For some reason the game was released in German only, but this official release did include English text files, only that there was no other way to use these English files than renaming them around manually.
Old 13-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
spamalot

*bump*

i've read throug various threads here but i'm not sure what the conclusion was?

is there a working WV2 download? (no matter the language)

i have an original cd with WV1 and WV2 here (plus the audio-tracks of WV2) - can anyone use this to get the game running (win 10 64bit would be nice ^^). but i cant get it running. it seems to be a windows game and dosbox won't play it. will try something on win10 with hyperV and xp-mode (http://www.download3k.com/articles/H...yper-V-00770#4). if that works i'll post it here.

the game is so awesome and i haven't played it for at least 15 years... WV1 is nice too but i loved part2 and its soundtrack...
spamalot is offline                         Send a private message to spamalot
Old 13-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

I don't have the game but I guess it's a 16-bit Windows game.
If that's the case then the easiest option to run it is using Windows 3.x in DOSBox. There's even a pre-installed Windows 3.11 archive available at Abandonia:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770
Old 14-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamalot View Post
*bump*

i've read throug various threads here but i'm not sure what the conclusion was?

is there a working WV2 download? (no matter the language)
Umm... It was too long ago...
As I suppose, Abandonia have 3 versions of WV2 on site. And it was even approved. But neither was put for the public, and I have no idea, why.

I need to check my archives for "my" English version, to understand what exactly am I have...
Quote:
but i cant get it running. it seems to be a windows game and dosbox won't play it.
If it's really 16-bit, then you can try Windows 3 under dosbox. Link must be somewhere around at this forum...
Old 14-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Was it ever reviewed?

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 14-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
spamalot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
I don't have the game but I guess it's a 16-bit Windows game.
If that's the case then the easiest option to run it is using Windows 3.x in DOSBox. There's even a pre-installed Windows 3.11 archive available at Abandonia:
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770
wow, that worked quite well. can't get the music running and get error messages until i disable music (i guess because they are audio tracks on that mixed mode disc) but it is playable like a charm and soundfx works fine! thanks for that tip!

tried the hyper-v + win-xp variant too (http://www.download3k.com/articles/H...-Hyper-V-00770). music-error messages too but no sound. there may be a way to get audio from a hyper-v VM mby going on it via remote desktop, but i don't know if thats just valid for win7 or xp too. didn't try it further because the win3-in-dosbox way was working so great.

but its the german version, so i think noone is interested?
Old 15-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Actually, we are interested
Is it full CD image, like 700MB or smaller?
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 15-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
spamalot

i've got the original cd (whales voyage 1 + 2 german, windows version). its a mixed media cd (1st track is data + 15 tracks audio/music).

tried to rip it but still did not get the complete medium: as iso-file i can only rip 1 track per iso, so its data only (=> 130MB). it also works with just the copied data (127MB).

the program i used (CDburnerXP) proposed mdf/mds files which can contain more than 1 track. so i did that and made a 1:1 copy (=> 661MB). when mounting those files (with winCDemu 4.1 since virtual clonedrive can't mount mdf/mds) i don't see the audio-tracks with windows media player (win10 x64) so i guess the audio tracks are not ripped correctly.
last thing i will try out wil be making a physical copy, first copying as an audio cd, then adding the data...

-> any tipps on ripping this mixed medium?

i got it to work quite fine in d-fend/dosbox, starting windows 3.11 (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770), and mounting my iso to it. in win3.11 i instelled WV2 and could run it.
the already known "insert cd" msg pops up every few seconds until i deactivated "music" in the upper windows-options. the SFX is played fine but the game is without music.

i may write a review and add screenshots if needed. there is also a manual that could be translated...

the question is, if this variant can be offered on abandonia since it won't work out of the (dos)box

-> i'd like to help translate into english if anyone knows how to export/import text from such games. (i'm native german speaking but speak english quite ok). just found something that may be english text... testing...

edit: got a package now with 104MB. it contains win3.11 and WV2. found the english text in the folders and it seems the whole game is in english! yay!

Last edited by spamalot; 15-10-2016 at 08:05 PM.