Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Red Fortress
Abandonia nerd

Default "Worlds of Ultima" now Free(ware?)

"Worlds of Ultima" now Free(ware?)

The two Victorian Sci-fi/Steampunk spinoffs are now free to download on GOG.

Worlds of Ultima - The Savage Empire
Abandonia Review:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/23...ge+Empire.html
GOG Link:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/world..._savage_empire

Ultima - Worlds of Adventure 2 - Martian Dreams
Abandonia Review:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/38...an+Dreams.html
GOG Link:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultim...artian_dreams/

Apparently Mythic Entertainment (who run Ultima Online) asked EA to release them for free "as a gift to the Ultima fandom and a thank you to all of the series’ many devoted fans."
News Link:
http://aiera.ultimacodex.com/2012/06...ed-on-gog-com/

Mad props to them!!

Also, there is a bug in the character creation that currently makes the games unplayable.
GOG is looking into how to solving this problem.
Red Fortress is offline                         Send a private message to Red Fortress
Old 19-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

You are a bit out of date, both games have already been updated on site and the bug has been fixed. This thread is now about how awesome/bad these games are. Go go go go go go go go go.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 19-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

But if I don't want GoG they of course stay off limit I guess?
Old 19-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Yes if somehow making a free account to get free games is too much for you to do the games are protected again and you can't have them. GoG made a deal with the owner of the games rights and they get to host them for free, the games aren't freeware.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 20-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I think we clearly established in the past how having to register to something then having the need to use a client, all the while being subjected to publicity and whatever doesn't really mean free.

Free is when I can download it and use it as I want. That is really free.

But anyways, I'm not sure it is worthwhile or if I even want to get in this argument again. It simply make me go every time I see someone scream the word free when it is clearly not the case.
Old 20-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Since GoG doesn't do that I don't have a clue what you are on about EoF. You make an account you get the free games you download them, either in browser or through a downloader and then you get the setup file on your PC. From then on you can use that file where ever how ever when ever you want. It doesn't need to be online or check through a client since you know the whole point of GoG is there is no DRM like that.

Either way the game is protected again, only GoG is allowed to give out the game for free and they are supporting it. It is up to you and other people what they want to do about getting the games, since they are DRM free you could get a friend who has a GoG account to just give you the setup files.
Old 20-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

First off, in the link posted by Red Fortress, it's not GOG who requested the games to be made free, but Mythic Entertainment who asked GOG to make them free. Two totally different things!

Secondly, I do not want to debate if giving away games through GOG is good or bad. Free games are good regardless. But (1) this is not freeware, and it means it can go back to being abandoned or sold (2) only one site can distribute it. When only one site can distribute it, it's not an act of charity; it is just advertisement for GOG. Abandonia, on the other hand, or DOSGames, are not allowed to distribute the game, even though they were created to preserve games for free and have been doing it for a long time.

Thirdly, every "free" service that makes registration mandatory is a pain in the ass. I certainly don't mind taking my time to register to one more site, but it's still a pain in the ass.
Old 20-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
Thirdly, every "free" service that makes registration mandatory is a pain in the ass. I certainly don't mind taking my time to register to one more site, but it's still a pain in the ass.
I agree completely, however it must not be ignored either that GOG.com is actually one of the better (and lighter) examples of this. In fact, I've heard opinions from people who support GOG.com exactly for the reason of promoting no-DRM electronic distribution of games.
Old 21-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Nobody mentioned them being freeware in this thread as far as I can see. Anyway, even if it is free or even if GOG would charge money for it, it's on their site, it's for "sale", so last I checked AB can't offer downloads of it anymore. If it makes the more paranoid feel safe under the safety blanket, GOG is selling the title for 0 bucks. End of story.
Old 22-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
Nobody mentioned them being freeware in this thread as far as I can see.
Not that I care about the word in itself but it is part of the title and it is also part of the first sentence of the first post.

Very hard to miss.