Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-08-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Ping
Lurker

Please do not flame me, im just a courious person, Maybe i just missed the post a bout it. but here is my question.
If we are uable to download the ESA games Im just courious, whats the point of keeping the titles and whatnots even on the site. I guess i see it as, i head on over to the game i want, and try to download it, i get the ESA thing and now am upset. i think this happens to more than just myself. So couldnt you lose the ESA games which will diminish the people complaining about how they cant have the game because of ESA
Thanks
Ping
Ping is offline                         Send a private message to Ping
Old 11-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I dunno, it would seem kind of pointless if we just took away those games, people can still come here for info can't they?

The site'll look empty without it too...

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 11-08-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, first of all, Abandonia is not primarily about getting games for free. There are reviews of games (like Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle or Wolfenstein 3D) which never were on the site to begin with.
And then of course a lot of work has gone into the reviews which are already on the site: it took time to write them and to create the screenshots (not to mention the extras like boxshots), and they've also already been translated to several languages. Why throw it all away just because the download is no longer there? The site still works as a resource for those games; there's few sites which have such detailed reviews and screenshots of such a high quality. That's worth something, don't you think?

By the way, this question has indeed been asked several times already...:whistle:
Edit: Like here or here.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 11-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
Jimbo the Legend

This might have been asked before as well but i'll ask again any way

Having heard the trouble that you got into from ESA, why is it that HOTU host many games that are ESA protected and seem to get away with it?

J
Jimbo the Legend is offline                         Send a private message to Jimbo the Legend
Old 11-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I wonder about that too...
HOTU's database is so extensive and crammed with games, it's a surprise the ESA hasn't removed almost all of them.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #6
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Perhaps they haven't pulled back on this. Nevertheless, this site is not for chatter about other sites that are potentially doing unlawful behavior. They get angry at you if you do this, especially if you go into detail as you have. So stop.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Because HOTU has company deals we don't have. Permissions we don't have anymore. And so on. Every abandonware site is different and have different deals. UD has been an active fighter for abandonware all her internet life, thus she has managed to get a huge contact list of people with rights.