Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
SpecterFan

Unhappy Need Help With Download Problem

I hope this is posted in the correct place. Please bear with me - I'm new here.

I am having a problem with downloading games. I have downloaded material in the past with no problem but now I am. I tried to contact the Abandonia Team about it; I have heard nothing as yet. I'll paste a portion of the message here. Hopefully someone will see this post and reply with some help.

Quote:
I still can not download "Ocean Trader" so I tried one I was able to download in the past: "Transport Tycoon". My results were as follows:

1) From the "GAMES" menu I navigated to "Simulation".

2) On "SIMULATION" I located and opened "Transport Tycoon".

3) It sent me to this address:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/44...rt+Tycoon.html

4) The download link (labeled: "GET IT!") reads:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/44

5) I clicked on it and it sent me to this address:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/44

6) The download link (again labeled: "GET IT!") reads:
http://www.abandonia.com/donation/44

7) I clicked on it and it opened a new Tab at this address:
http://www.abandonia.com/donation/44
No other Tabs, Windows, or addresses were opened and NOTHING can
be downloaded!!!
SpecterFan is offline                         Send a private message to SpecterFan
Old 17-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

When you click on "get it!", the download should start right away. If it doesn't then something got wrong somehow. Maybe your browser is blocking the download. Maybe it is the pop up which get blocked and the download never start. But when you click on "get it!", the download should start right away.

On my own attempts, the download always start several seconds before the page switch to the "You are now downloading [game x]." page.

The problem is on your end. Simply click back, return to the "get it!" page and try again. If it still don't work try to see if some setting in your browser is not interfering.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
SpecterFan

I tried all of that. Nada! I checked all my browser options. No difference. I tried to download again. Same results: trapped on the "Donations From Hell" page.

Sorry...

The frustration with/on a site I have cherished until now is somewhat difficult to deal with.
SpecterFan is offline                         Send a private message to SpecterFan
Old 17-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Have you tried using a different browser?
The information regarding your browser and plugins for it will be somewhat neccessary for our technician to fix the bug you're experiencing.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If you are using NoScript with FireFox then make sure Abandonia.com is allowed or temporarily allowed. Otherwise the script will never start and since the second page is a "normal" web page you'll be forwarded there whatever happen.

I can think just right of my head of at least half a dozen reasons why it would not work. None of them originate from the site itself.
Old 18-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
SpecterFan

Default Maybe I've Been "Locked Out" Somehow?

I disabled NoScript and rebooted my PC.

I attempted another download.

Same result....
Old 18-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There is no way to "lock out" an individual user from downloading.

Firefox 20 here.
NoScript - scripts from Abandonia.com and related are allowed.
AdBlock - no change from defaults.
RequestPolicy - requests from Abandonia.com are allowed.
With that configuration, the downloads are working.

The download script is trying to open a new window - if anything in your browser is blocking it, the download will not begin. (which I think I'll have to talk with our tech support about briefly)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Hmm, I tried myself.

If I am pressing "Get It!" on page http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/44, I am receiving page about donations AND my download.

But if I am trying to access directly http://www.abandonia.com/donation/44 , it will be only donations.

So suggestion: as it seems relate on previous page, it must be referrer. Could you disable it somewhere? I think, most browsers have such ability.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 22-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
SpecterFan

Default I Found An Error Message

I just tried disabling more extensions. No luck.

I decided to take another look at this "Donations" page and found a half-hidden Error message in a "pinkish" box. It reads:

Error

The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later.

PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (11) in lock_may_be_available() (line 163 of /var/www/traineeprograms/includes/lock.inc).

Could this have something to do with my problem? Where do I go from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Hmm, I tried myself.

If I am pressing "Get It!" on page http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/44, I am receiving page about donations AND my download.

But if I am trying to access directly http://www.abandonia.com/donation/44 , it will be only donations.

So suggestion: as it seems relate on previous page, it must be referrer. Could you disable it somewhere? I think, most browsers have such ability.
Old 22-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
SpecterFan

Thumbs up Abandonia Is Working Again!

I have something to add.
ABANDONIA IS WORKING PROPERLY AGAIN!!!

I was forced to Disable, Re-start, Enable, Disable, Re-enable, and Re-start over and over until I found the culprit.

Are you ready?
[Drum roll, please]

TAB UTILITIES LITE 1.5

I thank all who offered ANY ideas and/or help. Trust me. I pay attention to all of your advice. Nothing is ignored. I was getting seriously flustered - sorry.

One last thing - I'd like some opinions/suggestions on an extension: NoScript 2.6.6.2

I tried it once, briefly, and disabled it. I tend to have quite a few tabs open at any given time. NoScript got a bit awkward to deal with after awhile. Any input would be welcome.

Thanks again!!!!