Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Tex Murphy 1 - Mean Streets

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 23-01-2008 at 04:09 PM.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 11-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
Flop
Hero Gamer

I love the Tex Murphy games. They are some of the most underrated adventures ever made, IMO. As this one is the first of them, it really does deserve a place on Abandonia. I prefer the remake, though.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 11-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
hellchild

hmmm, looks like BladeRunner.so much older!anyway i never was fan of adwenture games based in the future(ups, i enjoed BladeRunner) :whistle:

Old 11-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
red_avatar
Administrator

This game is quite good - but man I love the Tex Murphy games. When Under A Killing Moon was made, I immediately bought it. Just the thought of a 4 CD game gave me shivers (although the crap Phantasmagoria had 7 CDs and isn't even worth mentioning).

When PCGamer UK reviewed Under A Killing Moon I was dissapointed with the score they had given it - 30% something which is rediculous. I discovered that the reason for this score was simply down to two things: they hated Interactive Movies (always complaining that they weren't really interactive, which is debatable) and they hated the acting).

Now, first about interactivity: the game is of course not freeform interacrive, but it's still interactive. You can walk where you want, talk to people who you want, pick up objects, use objects, travel, etc. That's interactive to me and because it was shot using real actors, to me it deserves the term "Interactive Movie".

About the acting: yes, they have a point that a lot of the acting is quite bad, but that's part of the charm of the game. I actually enjoyed it way more than if it had been perfectly acted. It gave it a B movie style feeling which fits perfectly with the setting and the funny costumes and settings.

All in all, Under A Killing Moon is one of my favorite games ever - and I never really forgave PCGamer for criticizing a game so badly when it has so many great things going about it.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 11-04-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Although UAKM had the epitomy of pc gaming technology (fmv :bleh: ) to call that game as not interactive is so stupid I am glad I do not like pcgamer LOL
It was far more interactive than most adventure games of its time. And still is.
The acting was not for oscar but it was good enough, and the whole feeling to it was great.

As for this game Mean Streets, it is a good adventure, though I never played it enough, and it is sort of a prequel to Under a killing moon and the rest of the series.

I was surprised to see the graphics from the review though, they appear so much better than the other versions I played.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 14-10-2005, 01:10 AM   #6
Erin

I love this game! I played this in my early teens and it kept me entertained for months. I remember that the game seemed to last forever and I kept a folder full of notes, names, locations, etc.

I thought the sound effects were great for the time, as well.

Old 14-10-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

There are very few Tex Murphy fans.
Me being one of them, it's hard to fine any others.

Glad to see some people can find these great game.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 13-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
Fusebox

I am a big fan of advernture games, and I've been playing them for almost 20 years now.
I must tell you, Under a Killing Moon is one of the best remembered games. I still occasionally grab those 4 CD's and start playing it all over again. Even Tex's voice, brings me back to that wonderful experience I had with that game.

k:
Fusebox is offline                         Send a private message to Fusebox
Old 24-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
Floyd the Techno-Nerd Rat

Cool!

'nuff said! k:

Old 06-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #10
Nutmilk

Your review should have included a tehcnical note about this game's use of "true sound", one of the only games ever to utilize a PC speaker for full digital audio, which is quite unusual.