Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #11
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

You'd like a part in the first Thief, where you'd make a sound and an army of zombies would come at you.
In fact, I just stood on a little plateau and fired arrows drenched in holy water all around. It was a massacre, and very impressive (Especially considering I hadn't really fought an enemy face to face thus far).

I really would really like to play Thief again, but my CD's corrupted -snif-
I never got a chance to play Thief 2 myself, but from what I saw it was pretty much the same as the first one. I would really like to get my hands on it some day.

God, I love the Thief series
Old 31-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #12
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Charmed@Jul 31 2005, 03:55 PM

I am getting the shivers just thinking about it...
Yeah, the Thief series has always been good for a few scares
It's also lots of fun to listen in on the conversations and read the notes and books.
Even the most simple thieving missions can be turned into a mission with a deep plot just by listening in on the conversations and discovering an entire plot... brilliant.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:01 AM   #13
Galadrin
Abandonia nerd

Sorry for how long it took me to reply, I've been a bit busy. I have installed the third Thief game and it seems... different. I loved the first two thief games, their depth of missions, the plot development, the way the Dark engine was just so... well, dark. The third one seems to have been developed for the X-box crowd though, shadows are no longer really black (they're now blue?!?), the first person perspective leaves me feeling like I've been playing the original Wolfenstein 3D due to it's narrow perspective, which isn't so bad when you play in 3'rd person perspective but that takes away from those tense moments when you were waiting in the shadows for a guard to blackjack him or her, but it also makes leaning useless (and what's up with the full body lean?) and, to my dismay, expert level now lets you kill guards (not that you are forced to... yet). I'll finish the game before I cast final judgement, but so far this seems to be a clumsy attempt to recreate one of the most dexterous series made.

Thief one and two are two of the best first person games I've ever played, up there with the System Shock series, The Elder Scrolls series and the Ultima Underworld series (coincidence perhaps that three of these games were made by Looking Glass? Maybe I'm just a fanboy... I love Terra Nova too) The first two games had a depth and intensity of plot that I have not seen in any game (at least not off the top of my head ) to date. Game play in them was excellent, (if you really don't like zombie missions play Thief 2, Zombies only appear in two missions I believe... ghosts and haunts are another matter though... and you'll miss out on the scene where Garrett loses his eye) and leaves you wanting more. Quite literally; in fact there is a fan expansion for Thief 2 called Shadows of the Metal Age that is complete with movies... though you'll want a broadband to pull down this 700MB monster (if you're interested links can be found at www.thief-thecircle.com). To say too much about any thief game would be to give away the lovely surprises though, and those are what really keeps you coming back for more Thief; well, the surprises and the last stupid 150 loot. k:

Spoiler: Zombies can be killed with holy water arrows, flash bombs, mines and fire arrows. Haunts can be killed with all of the above and even something as easy as a backstab, the twisted priests also go down hard to a nice backstab. What can I say, I play too much D&D to let undead live.
Galadrin is offline                         Send a private message to Galadrin
Old 01-08-2005, 07:48 AM   #14
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Are you sure you got all the graphics set up correctly, because I remember Thief III as the darkest of the three games, at times the entire room was dark safe a small fireplace. The beginning of the game is a bit slow, granted, the first few missions are pretty weak but soon after you'll be crawling through haunted ships, robbing pirate mansions during a thunderstorm, running through graveyards, and exploring a very entertaining level.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #15
holyman9
Forum hobbit

Listen to this tragedy - Thief 1 and 2 are my all-time favourite games, but Thief 3 I can't even try out because of my graphics card! Apparently, Thief 3 started using pixel shaders which my old card does not support. But, to tell you the truth, the moment I heard that somebody else besides Looking Glass was going to be making Thief, I was skeptical. And the game tanked, too, right?
holyman9 is offline                         Send a private message to holyman9
Old 01-08-2005, 02:33 PM   #16
Doubler
Resident Llama

Send a message via MSN to Doubler

Thief 3 is a good game.
In fact, I'm going to play it again right now.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #17
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by holyman9@Aug 1 2005, 03:22 PM
And the game tanked, too, right?
I'm afraid I liked the game. And all this talk about the game makes me want to play it again.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #18
holyman9
Forum hobbit

damn you both for rubbing it in
Old 01-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #19
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well if you're a real fanboy who was hoping for Thief III to be in the same unmodified Dark engine you'll hate Thief III.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #20
holyman9
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroggy@Aug 1 2005, 10:25 AM
Well if you're a real fanboy who was hoping for Thief III to be in the same unmodified Dark engine you'll hate Thief III.
No, I know that Thief 3 is under the Unreal3 engine, and I did want to see how it works there... Oh well, guess I'll have to wait until I get a better gfx card.