Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

...A new one each month.

I've prepared you folks a browser problem for April. I have just realised that JavaScript (I think... :crazy: ) seems not to work for me too often. I have been playing a browser MMORPG named Urban Dead, and since I'm a fan of RP'ing I found a site hosting UD Players' journals. I decided to make a journal for me...but that's not the problem.

I had made myself a new account and discovered something called Radio (you need to be registered to see this, so just register; it take one second...really...). The problem with it is that it has some buttons to change "channels" and to scroll up/down. Those options use javascript, and of course they don't work for me. When I click to change channels, it does not do nothing and it takes me to the top of the page. (http://www.graham-russell.co.uk/ud/radio.php#) When I try to scroll, nothing happens.

The same happened to me for another site from which I had to download some programs for my mom. The links to download them were http://www.inspectiamuncii.ro/#, but when I clicked them it took me again to the top of the page. Now it works, after enabling the java on the site with NoScript Firefox extension, but the first time, when I enabled and reloaded, it didn't work.

Now explain this to me: why does it sometimes work, but it sometimes doesn't? I've tried starting inspectiamuncii.ro and the radio site with IE also, but the same thing happened.

Note: I've got the latest JAVA/Firefox versions and my OS is Windows 98 SE

Thanks.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 08-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

have you tried Tools->Options->Content->options for java?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
plix
Game freak

Note: from now on please everyone refrain from calling JavaScript "Java." Beyond a resemblance in syntax the two are completely different and have no relation to each other whatsoever. This has an impact and is a very important distinction.

Now, Abi: the latter problem is almost certainly related to your popup blocker. Without getting overly technical (I could, but I don't see the point -- let me know if I need to explain myself further), The Firefox popup blocker is moderately intelligent about blocking "bad" popups and allowing "good" ones, but as this is a very difficult distinction to make it sometimes makes a false-positive. Try turning it off and see if that fixes things (I'd suggest turning it back on after you're done experimenting, however).

As for the first problem, I don't have the time at the moment to mess around with that site, but I highly suspect that it's a browser-related issue. If it works in IE chances are it's just a poorly-written feature which doesn't support Mozilla/Firefox.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 09-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

I've found the problem: Due to my slow computer and my big list of trusted sites in NoScript, everytime I add a new trusted site I get "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue and see if the scipt will complete."

If I stop it, the site won't be added to the trusted sites list and thus I won't be able to run use whatever JavaScript features it has.

Quote:
Now, Abi: the latter problem is almost certainly related to your popup blocker. Without getting overly technical (I could, but I don't see the point -- let me know if I need to explain myself further), The Firefox popup blocker is moderately intelligent about blocking "bad" popups and allowing "good" ones, but as this is a very difficult distinction to make it sometimes makes a false-positive. Try turning it off and see if that fixes things (I'd suggest turning it back on after you're done experimenting, however).
I've added that site to the allowed list, but did not disable the popup blocker since it gives me a message everytime itt blocks a popup.

Now that everything works, I'm happy.

Thanks Plix and russ.
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79