Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-05-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

A few days ago I acquired an O2 Xda IIi PDA / Pocket PC (with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition). I have been searching for RPG games to be played on it. I have found reviews on some interesting RPG such as Everquest Pocket PC, The Green Myste, Ultima Underworld, Ancient Evil, and Undercroft. However, unfortunately none of these games come in free or open source :whistle:

So, I was wondering if anyone can recommend me to free (or open source) RPG games for Pocket PC. Maybe something along with the line with Lands of Lore, or those games created by RPG Maker (2000/2003/XP) but for Pocket PC.

I am aware there are a few DOSBox ports for Pocket PC such as DOSBox PPC and pDOSBox, but I would also like to have newer games that do not require emulation.

Secondly, can anyone also give me a pointer on how to use the two DOSBox ports mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just noticed this thread by The Niles: http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?s...8995&hl=pDOSBox
But I don't see any RPG in the games listed.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 26-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I guess I am not helping, but, there are several other emulators for pocket pcs, like Atari ST emulator Castway, where you could find many many many rpgs, which btw can look much better than old DOS ones...
I used to have Castway for my asus mypal a620 and I played a few rpgs there.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 26-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Alas, my own PPC died so I've fallen out of "the scene" such as it was, but when i was into it FreewarePPC was one of my favorate sites to go to. They even have an RPG section, although, the pickings are quite slim. Tho I see nethack for PPC. That's got to be promising.

Hope this gets you started.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 27-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #4
rabadi

Read about another Pocket PC RPG yesterday, which is Shadowgate. I guess my chances of finding free ones are really slim. Yes, I have been to FreewarePPC before, but did not find anything that interests me. I heard that Nethack (the DOS or Windows version, not that Pocket PC one) is a good one, but from what I've heard it lacks story, and thus so far this matter has stopped me from trying to play it.

Also thanks for the suggestions on Atari ST emulator, I'll look into it.

On the side note, congratulation for the new forum look. It is nice, and more... well, boxy.
Old 27-05-2006, 02:14 AM   #5
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Yes, nethack has very little in the way of story. It's a pure RPG, open sourced so anyone can add to it, that has evolved over the years. Try it, you will not be (totally) disapointed.

And hey, you want free, you gonna get what you pay for.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 27-05-2006, 04:36 AM   #6
rabadi

I guess you're right. But I'm still going to cross my fingers, in the hope that someday there'll be quality games for free

My problem with those commercial Pocket PC games is that they are not available in local stores, so I have to order them online, which is a traumatic experience for me since I had a bad, really bad, experience with online order in the past. So I would rather buy games in local stores. Sadly they don't have any stock on Pocket PC games, much less Pocket PC RPG games.

Old 27-06-2006, 03:30 AM   #7
rabadi

Sorry for resurrecting this one-month old thread, but I just found a remake of Eye of Beholder II (still in progress, just the first level is completed), and it seems a Pocket PC version is available. So, here's hoping :w00t:

EDIT: Sorry forgot the link yesterday. Here it is: http://www.eob2remake.com/download.html