Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
hgottfried

i hope someone is as picky as me...i can't get the sound to fully work with populous 1 or 2. the sound effects work fine (and the music works during the intro for both), but the heartbeat sound (and music in POP2) is missing during gameplay, and that's always been part of the charm for me with these games! i have the Super Nintendo versions of 1 and 2 (2 is Japanese only--language barrier!!!), and the Genesis version of 1, which all have the heartbeat in the backround, and in the manual for POP2 (i own the original for PC) it states that there is a heartbeat sound to let you know how healthy you are (it also states that you can enter "MUSIC" in the special code area to listen to some soothing backround music while playing POP2). i'm new to these forums, but i've scoured high and low to try and make sure i'm not asking a stupid question. i tried VDMSound and DOSBOX for POP1, and i can only use DOSBOX for POP2 due to the extended memory hurdle; no success with any of those options. i also tried all the different soundblaster options in the DOSBOX config file. i'm at a loss here. are there specific irq's or dma/hdma settings i could tweak? i don't want to have to resort to playing the vastly inferior console versions...
please help.
hgottfried is offline                         Send a private message to hgottfried
Old 01-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Experiment with IRQ 5 instead of default 7.

Also experiment with the games' internal setup.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
hgottfried

QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Sep 1 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]252322[/snapback]
Quote:
Experiment with IRQ 5 instead of default 7.

Also experiment with the games' internal setup.
[/b]
I tried messing around with the IRQ (tried 5 as well as others), sbtype, dma, opl mode in the dosbox.conf file; still no luck. Bummer. As for in game settings, the only two options are a /ss (soundblaster) and /si (internal speaker) switch on the .bat file. No luck with either of those.
hgottfried is offline                         Send a private message to hgottfried