Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Panthro
Man of Science

Default Fallout 3 pirated already

Word around the campfire is indicating that a copy of Fallout 3 has been pirated, and videos of people playing the full game have appeared on YouTube.

It seems to be the Xbox version also, so it seems that piracy finds a way. I have heard reports of a review copy, or a member of staff's relative leaking the game.

I fully sympathise with the game developers and distribution teams, who have spent a lot of time and money, and then this happens. Despite my views on the actual game, noone deserves to have their product pirated.

How does this affect the product (FO3), the company (Bethesda) and the gaming market? FO3 was reported to be DRM free, but what methods will be employed now to try and prevent this sort of thing happening?
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 09-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
I fully sympathise with the game developers and distribution teams, who have spent a lot of time and money, and then this happens. Despite my views on the actual game, noone deserves to have their product pirated
oh, poor boys, people expressed their positive towards the game and downloaded the game before it was even released. oh poor poor boys, now everybody will buy it later but play before. omg such a horrible thing. poor dudes at bethesda will have their millions on accounts later

Quote:
How does this affect the product (FO3), the company (Bethesda) and the gaming market? FO3 was reported to be DRM free, but what methods will be employed now to try and prevent this sort of thing happening?
this would happen even with drm protection, that thing is useless
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Panthro
Man of Science

If I was developing a game, I wouldn't want pirates to get their hands on it before paying customers, especially if people have pre-ordered and showed a little faith.

On the DRM side, if you've read what people have said in the past about why they need DRM, they use cases like this as excuses for limited uses and so on, despite the fact it appears to be insiders or reviewers who leak the product.

The people who will bear the brunt will be those of us who pay for a product and get a bizzare rental-like agreement e.g. bioshock.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

a lot of people who pirate games actually do buy the games, i don't know why some people spread this disinformation

and what's the point? the people who pre-ordered the games get their solid copies anyways, it's not that they leaked a truck of cases with f3 copies

Quote:
if you've read what people have said in the past about why they need DRM
excuse me? drm has always been and still is a consumer's pain in the ass. but believe me drm protection gets bypassed anyways. just look at spore, people who bought it swear as fcuk because they can install it only 3 times only. but people who have pirated copy can play it anytime anywhere, with removed drm protection

you said you wouldn't want pirates to get hands on your product if you made something. i would be vice-versa happy about it, it's like market research. i know what people want and i see that they do appreciate my work. and people who liked it still buy it anyways
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
everybody will buy it later but play before.
I find that assumption too optimistic...

Quote:
a lot of people who pirate games actually do buy the games
Yeah some people will, some won't.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

geez, not literally everybody
Quote:
Yeah some people will, some won't.
makers still do get a nice income, it's such a popular title. pirates are going to be there anyways
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Panthro
Man of Science

I didn't say I agreed with DRM, nor did I say I thought this justified it, but I will be exceedingly suprised if this isn't used as another excuse for it.

It doesn't help the companies, it doesn't stop the pirates, it just creates problems for us folks who actually pay for the game, and that pisses me off.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

have you ever considered.. well, you know, buy the game and download your copy? i definitely do get pissed off by drm and download my cracked coppy even if i bought it
Old 09-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Had to see it to belive it. I looked up on torrent search and yes, Fallout 3 for X-box. All ready to be downloaded. Goody.

Whats with the companies these days? They dont seem to care about piracy as they cant come up with any effective copy protection. Everything seems to be crackable.

And my thoughts on piracy: If I want to play a certain game, I play it. If this game is available on online I'l download it. That is all.

However, If I see an interesting game for sale either on a store or online auction, and I have enough money, Il probably buy it, because I like physical things and owning junk.

Still, either of these wont be much support to the gaming industry, as nearly all the games that I've bought or downloaded are too old to bring any noticable profit or its a used copy (If I buy the game that is). There are exceptions for this rule too, for example, my newest game is Season 1 of Sam & Max.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
Everything seems to be crackable.
everything is crackable