Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #221
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

You might feel better if you read this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/564808-wi...s/review-23424

A very interesting review without spoilers.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 24-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #222
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Danke, KMONSTER,

You very kind as well.
I do not forget your valuable help in my battle with Lord Xeen and here YOU are again correct:
The review is nice analyse of the above game.

Gladly I played the game one day only..

Ty

Grateful yoga

Off -
May I very politely ask You why You was not in the forum a while?
Hope, no rude behavior.
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 24-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #223
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Hallo yoga !
I visit this site and look into the forum nearly every day, but I didn't feel the urge to post recently.

I own Wizardy 7 gold with the printed manual, read it a few years ago and wanted to think about a party to create, but the game mechanics information which I'd need for developing a strategy just isn't in the big manual.
I still have the urge to try the game, but I don't want to work months doing permanent luck manipulation by reloading without knowing how the game rules work thanks to the crappy manual.
Old 26-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #224
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Nein, nein.

Do not work for nothing.

Follow the lazy yoga and drink 1-2 Heineken in the forthcoming hot days..

Better have a sparrow in the hand instead of eagle in the sky..

Time is geld Y'now..

Greetings

yoga
now battling in Daggerfall
Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #225
wardencz
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to wardencz

Slay not he that cannot hear.
Played a game not long ago, but had to give up.
I finished it years ago with 4 party members, quite playable, since the less party members u got, the faster u lvl, so I decided to play with only 3 characters, 3 Ninjas =), thinking of not having problems further with changing professions and all, but after experiencing brutal save/load orgies, when one of the charcaters fails hiding in shadows, being slain in one turn almost.
So I advice not to try it at home =) unless ur strong of will.

Keep up the good work Abandonia crew, ur the best!
wardencz is offline                         Send a private message to wardencz
Old 09-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #226
Scatty
Treasure hunter

3 Ninjas is not very convenient, since you need at least someone to heal and someone to be able to summon higher level monsters to aid the party. Since Clerics heal AND summon, you should also have at least one of those in the party for the first stages of the game. Later, when the Ninja has developed it's fighting skills and begins to learn Alchemist spells you should begin to invest some big points in that area, all the fighting skills will develop automatically during the fights.
Seeing it that way, it's enough to have just a double-team party of Ninja and Cleric. That way they level-up even faster than three, both can fight good enough and with Cleric you have advanced healing spells that Alchemist does not and some good attack spells too. Besides, Cleric can wear divine chain armor pieces which provide good protection and regeneration, and as he's not able to hide like Ninja does, he needs all the best stuff in the game he can wear. Also, it's a good idea to have a Fairy Ninja for the obvious advantage - Cane of Corpus. Also Fairies have better armor class than others.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 19-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #227
Archinerd

Downloaded and running! If I hurry I might be able to finally beat this game before it turns 20.

I'm glad to see that people are still trying to play this flawed masterpiece. It's a bit repetitive and sometimes a real grind, but despite its limited graphics it has so much personality.

Also, thanks to everyone who posted before me asking for help on how to get it running with sound. It took some work but I finally got it all worked out.
Archinerd is offline                         Send a private message to Archinerd
Old 19-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #228
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking No, thanks

Hi, all fens of this game,

Some years ago I started the game being so naive (me - the great gamer will finished the game for max. 30 days)
Ha ha
After 2 days I give up. Then well respected Scatty advise me (TY, good Scatty) to stop the game.
Well, maybe I have to grow up, make bigger muscles, drink fish oil (My grandma told me it is nice brain stimulator) and then with written WT near to start again.
Now I am still young and fool. And .... UW2, Daggerfall and Prince of Persia 3 are waiting...
Ha ha
My respect for Masters who finished the game..
They are Heroes!!

yoga the stupid
Old 23-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #229
wardencz
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to wardencz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga View Post
Hi, all fens of this game,

Some years ago I started the game being so naive (me - the great gamer will finished the game for max. 30 days)
Ha ha
After 2 days I give up. Then well respected Scatty advise me (TY, good Scatty) to stop the game.
Well, maybe I have to grow up, make bigger muscles, drink fish oil (My grandma told me it is nice brain stimulator) and then with written WT near to start again.
Now I am still young and fool. And .... UW2, Daggerfall and Prince of Persia 3 are waiting...
Ha ha
My respect for Masters who finished the game..
They are Heroes!!

yoga the stupid
I pretty much never heard of some1 finishing it without a WT for the first "run".
wardencz is offline                         Send a private message to wardencz
Old 26-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #230
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

I've finally finished the game.

It's unbalanced, unfair, illogical and tedious but it doesn't require much skill. It's rather for beginners with much patience than for experts.

For combat you only have to accept that the game is unfair and will throw enemies at your party which you can't survive so you're supposed to use save/reload to manipulate the random number generator consistently until you've gained enough levels since almost everything in combat depends on levels relative to each other. Expert is easier than normal on the long run because of the extra XP you get.

For the adventuring part skill won't help you much. Some riddles just don't make sense so you'll have to use a walkthrough anyway and some require work instead of thinking, only a few are fun.

The game is quite small, World of Xeen is about four times that big, but since Wizardry 7 is so slow you'll need much longer to finish it.
The Wizardry7 developer's didn't care about giving a quality time, besides what's important for marketing they wanted to keep the player occupied as long as possible.
Therefore you have to spend a lot of time rolling your party and have to do lots of useless stuff before you're allowed to reroll after a bad roll.
The automap is slow to use, buggy and doesn't show much.
At higher levels a single spell can take up to 140 mana, regenerating the mana used for a single spell cast can take up to 280 hours average or 35 times 8 hour resting or 35 minutes real time, even walking to a mana regenerating well at the other side of the world is faster. It's not surprising that you only regenerate 4 hitpoints average during an 8 hour rest.
Skills are also made to make you waste time. You'll have to spend many hours doing stupid repetitive work in order to learn skills like swimming or mind control properly.

The story and the world are implausible and the ending (there's only one real one) disappointing. What's written about character creation in the manual is incomplete and misleading, thinking about the optimal party is fun but once you realize how overpowered class switching is you'll only think about the best party with self imposed restrictions.
The magic system with 6 different mana pools like in W6 is a great idea, only the slow regeneration hurts. The monster animations are great.

The Wizardry7 publishers were really great at marketing. They only offered little content artificially lengthened, sold "illogical and unbalanced" as "for experts" and "tedious, repetitive and slow" as "big" and got away with it.