Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Question recordable replays

Today it's not a biggie: computers are so powerful and video compression so efficient that people simply capture video of their gameplay and upload it to youtube.

It wasn't so easy 20 years ago. Your computer barely could run Doom, let alone create a huge video file. Several games had a built-in walkaround: replays recordable to small files (sometimes confusingly called "demos"). Some games went further by packing in special editing mode, where you can change cameras, and with better playback control.

I've requested this group at MobyGames in order to research this feature. Flightsims were on my mind, but then I thought about Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, later Driver and so on. Can you help me with other titles?

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...rdable-replays
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 18-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
Today it's not a biggie: computers are so powerful and video compression so efficient that people simply capture video of their gameplay and upload it to youtube.

It wasn't so easy 20 years ago. Your computer barely could run Doom, let alone create a huge video file. Several games had a built-in walkaround: replays recordable to small files (sometimes confusingly called "demos"). Some games went further by packing in special editing mode, where you can change cameras, and with better playback control.

I've requested this group at MobyGames in order to research this feature. Flightsims were on my mind, but then I thought about Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, later Driver and so on. Can you help me with other titles?

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...rdable-replays
Out of top of my head, I can think of two other: Umihara Kawase, a Japanese SNES game, and Team Fortress 2, which needs no introduction.

Umihara Kawase's sequels might have replay feature too, but I haven't checked those out.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 18-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

I assume you're familiar with the group description, which details that instant replays, such as those in sports games, do not qualify. That replay has to be recorded to a file, to - say - serve as a proof of your speedrun. All users with the same version of the game will be able to run it.

I understand that that SNES game saved it to cartridge RAM?

Last edited by RRS; 18-09-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 18-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Yes, and thats exactly how UK's replay system works. It saves them on the battery inside the cartridge. It might be somekind of RAM too, but usually for all the cartridge games if it has some sort of saving feature it saves on a battery, since its easily replaceable in case it dies.

EDIT: Just remembered another one: Starcraft. Not initially, but they added ability to record and watch replays in patches.

Last edited by TheChosen; 18-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 18-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

I think you're a little confused, of course a battery can't store digital information. These cartridge console games saved into a RAM that was powered by a battery, so it wasn't erased when the cartridge was out. The battery lasted very long because the RAM consumed very little power, but to my knowledge after too many years when the battery died, your saves would be erased. And I don't think they used rechargeable batteries. And there wasn't any provision for the save feature to be repaired, as cartridges weren't meant to be opened; but even so you'd have already lost your old saves. And pre-emptively replacing the battery before it died would also erase your games, unless you provided a bypass power supply for the while when there's no battery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saved_game
Quote:
On later cartridge-based console games, such as Kirby's Adventure and The Legend of Zelda, saved games were stored in battery-backed RAM on the game cartridge itself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Po...ilverBoard.jpg

Last edited by Japo; 18-09-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 18-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Goes to show that there's still lot for me to learn about my favorite systems. Thanks for the correction. I was aware how the whole battery system does work, but I cant believe I never realized it actually saves on the RAM.
Old 20-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Wicky
the little viking

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/28346/XQuest.html
XQuest
Old 20-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Powerslave certainly qualifies, just like other Build engine games (dunno about TekWar though). I'm just not sure anyone ever used that feature except the developers

And somewhat surprisingly, you can do that in Rise of the Triad too:
Quote:
Demos:
RECORD Record a demo (does not work in v1.0).
STOP Stop a demo (does not work in v1.0).
PLAY Play a demo (does not work in v1.0).
(from the official FAQ)

And, judging by the strings in the EXE of the demo version, this option is also available in Eradicator:
Quote:
-record .dem

-play c
Illegal demo playback file: <%s>
BTW: most games on the current list seem to be of the first-person perspective type - be it FPS or vehicle/aircraft simulators. However, self-running demo records that act as "attract mode" have been included in games of many other genres. This feature undoubtedly comes from arcade machines, but the option to record user-made demos was invented much later, and seems to have been limited somewhat to specific genres (ones that were more popular at the time, I guess).

Still, would be nice if games of other types (e.g. platformers) were found that also allow user-recorded demos
Old 21-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

I almost forgot, recently I've played some demo versions of various NASCAR racing games from Sierra, and most if not all of them have a built-in option to record and then view races that you have played. I think at least some other racing games have that too (which is only logical as this simulates real-life video records/TV broadcasts of races), but I'm not very familiar with the entire genre so I can't tell much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen View Post
EDIT: Just remembered another one: Starcraft. Not initially, but they added ability to record and watch replays in patches.
Yep, Stracraft and Warcraft III have the replay system which is pretty much an equivalent to recordable demos. I think I've encountered this feature in some other RTS games too but I'm not sure ATM.

Also, C-evo records every turn during a game, and stores them into a "book" which can be played back from the start as a non-interactive record of the game, or the player can go back any turn and play differently from there.

[Edit] Here's a list of RTS games with a replay system that are featured at GameReplays.org:
Quote:
Battlefield 3
Battle for Middle Earth
BfME2 BT2DC
CNC Generals
CNC Zero Hour
Command and Conquer 3
Command and Conquer 4
Company of Heroes
Dawn of War 2
Dota 2
Generals 2
Heroes of Newerth
Kanes Wrath
League of Legends
Red Alert 3
RotWK Unofficial 202
StarCraft 2
Supreme Commander 2
Team Alias
Tiberium Alliances
Old 21-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Thank you guys! If you can, please point me to some screenshot/FAQ, like the ever diligent MrFlibble did, because MobyGames requires sources!
@MrFlibble: next time don't be shy, you could've added Powerslave yourself to that group, you're at Moby's as well after all

As I suspected, there were traces of this function in Wolfenstein 3D but it was removed in later versions?