Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old News
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #461
haakie
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
Is there a problem with the downloading of these games? I am wanting to download Abandoned Places. I click on the download game link and it seems to take a while to go to the download page. Once I am there and click on the "Get It" icon, I get a "page cannot be displayed" error.
I would appreciate some assistance.
The same ghost hounts again...
haakie is offline                         Send a private message to haakie
Old 03-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #462
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk
Smile

The Abandonia server has problems, It will be fixed so stay tuned!
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 04-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #463
humorguy
Super Freak

I find myself hardly coming here any more - because I get so angry with this sites software - I will just list my biggest bugbear:

This is the ONLY site I go to where if I post a message in the thread and tick 'get notifications' I get the email, it has the link built in, it takes me to the thread and the message concerned - but then says I have to log in and logging in takes me to my profile page!!!!! This means I need to go back to the forums, find the thread and the post I wanted to reply to, and only then can I reply!!!!

Given the above, why would I come to this site?! Why would I bother to post a message?! Why would I even THINK of being in a debate with someone in a thread or provide ongoing help to someone?!

I don't understand why you have a notification option when you don't have automatic log-in so that posts can be made immediately! I have to go to a couple sites that don't have notification and they are both very quiet compared with those sites that do it properly! IGN is taking over from Gamespot in forum use because of this.

A new site called G.O.G. is opening in September/October. They will be selling old classic games via download. They will also have a forum for retro PC gamers. If they get their site right, sites like this will have their forums wither on the vine.

I still get the odd reply email from posts I made weeks/months ago (mostly under the previous software) and I always click in the email link to see if this problem has been fixed. It never has. Even though this has been mentioned more than one in the last couple of months.

I find myself going to HOTU more often and other retro sites and now seldom come back here. It's just too hard to be a regular part of the forums because of the above problem.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #464
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

The server is back online ^^

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 04-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #465
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by humorguy View Post
This is the ONLY site I go to where if I post a message in the thread and tick 'get notifications' I get the email, it has the link built in, it takes me to the thread and the message concerned - but then says I have to log in and logging in takes me to my profile page!!!!! This means I need to go back to the forums, find the thread and the post I wanted to reply to, and only then can I reply!!!!
how about fcukin "BACK" button on your browser

and why would you be on this site? well, i don't know, because mostly the people who visit this forum are wise enough to know how that if you click the link again, after you login, it remembers your settings, unless you're deranged and try to keep logged in without cookies enabled.

oh you visit gamespot and ign? that speaks quite enough about you because it's filled with kids without any taste and yes, most of them wouldn't even know how to login properly (hint)

if you feel like you wanna visit hotu more fine, what is this a thread letter? jesus christ
Old 04-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #466
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Nope. Go to www.abandonia.com/en/forum. Then open the link in your e-mail in a separate browser window. It will work just fine then.

Or, replace the part that says http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/ with http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum?url= , and it will also work fine.

Quote:
I don't understand why you have a notification option when you don't have automatic log-in so that posts can be made immediately! I have to go to a couple sites that don't have notification and they are both very quiet compared with those sites that do it properly! IGN is taking over from Gamespot in forum use because of this.
Look, it's not our fault that the Studentis webteam have connected the site and forum the way they did it.
None of the actual site staff had anything to do with it, and none of us can fix it.

Quote:
A new site called G.O.G. is opening in September/October. They will be selling old classic games via download. They will also have a forum for retro PC gamers. If they get their site right, sites like this will have their forums wither on the vine.
Maybe. Maybe not. We still haven't seen them release a single game yet, and have yet to see what sort of community their forum will attract and if it will result in Abandonia and similar sites losing public or not (and which particular segments of said public that would be).

Quote:
I still get the odd reply email from posts I made weeks/months ago (mostly under the previous software) and I always click in the email link to see if this problem has been fixed. It never has. Even though this has been mentioned more than one in the last couple of months.
Because way things are now, it can't be fixed.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #467
humorguy
Super Freak

Nope. Go to www.abandonia.com/en/forum. Then open the link in your e-mail in a separate browser window. It will work just fine then.

Or, replace the part that says http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/ with http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum?url= , and it will also work fine.

.... Or post a message on another forum where they send a notification of reply emial and just click on the link in the email without editing anything, without opening another window and without doing anything else except letting that email take you to that message, log you in and let you post a message there and then, no fuss no bother and a method designed to allow speedy 'conversations' which only this site does not allow despite offering the notification option. IGN has a notification system that works, Gamespot doesn't even have a notification system, but it does allow you to look at the threads you have previously posted in and tells you if there are any messages unread. This is a cumbersome system, and this is one reason why the forums on Gamepsot are not as active as IGN's.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #468
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomekk View Post
3)
I wanted to submit a game, via the Contact Form, but when i click on it(in the answer to the FAQ) i get sent to the "All Games" section.
Guess I'll have to update the FAQ. :worried:
Quote:
.... Or post a message on another forum where they send a notification of reply emial and just click on the link in the email without editing anything, without opening another window and without doing anything else except letting that email take you to that message, log you in and let you post a message there and then, no fuss no bother and a method designed to allow speedy 'conversations' which only this site does not allow despite offering the notification option. IGN has a notification system that works, Gamespot doesn't even have a notification system, but it does allow you to look at the threads you have previously posted in and tells you if there are any messages unread. This is a cumbersome system, and this is one reason why the forums on Gamepsot are not as active as IGN's.
This is not IGN. This is not Gamespot.
For the last time: you have a complaint about the way the site/forum integration is working (or rather not working), please take it to Studentis instead of bugging us about something we can't fix. :mad:

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #469
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

humorguy, save your login both on abandonia.com and www.abandonia.com, durpal database is messed up

and please
Quote:
and this is one reason why the forums on Gamepsot are not as active as IGN's.
i understand that you wanna help but we don't give a damn.

those are horrible forums by the way
Old 05-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #470
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Well, I don't agree with some stuff in this forum as well (regerding the design that is) but I will stay and see if I maybe can help making things turn out OK or at least acceptable.

And I know a forum that uses EXACTLY this forum software (VBULLETIN) and it works pretty neat.

The only problem that we have is that we can't directly manipulate the code. Otherwise a lot of stuff would have been changed/happened.

There's this "Return of the King"-scenario with Kosta in autumn, is there? :amused:
I guess if somebody who cares about this site is available for maintenance some bugs are going to be squished.

Now let's all have a cool drink.