Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #31
Mara
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Shouldn't've forced us all to get those calculators if they didn't want people to make programs on it that'd cheat on tests

Quote:
my friend, quite a computer master for his age, said me that on calculator you can only make algorithmes, not true programs.
depands on the calculator My ti 98 runs C programs quitte ok (using the right compiler and functions)
if you want a calucalor 2 solution either use a prossesor (and programs), either electronics. But you won't get really far with no prossesor.

I know C++, java, c, php, javascript, assembly, Qbasic, VB, whathever the basic language from my calculator is called.
Mara is offline                         Send a private message to Mara
Old 01-02-2006, 05:32 AM   #32
Xalo

in truth, i like the technical progress. soon we could play these games from abandonia on phones(at least 320x200 resolution ones)! and bit later you could play abondware on your calculator!

@Master MC
yes, soviet occupation and what an ocupation!
much people were sent to siberia and many fled to countries like canada, australia and so. soviet times were total opposite to present - everybody had money but there were nothing in shops and if there were, it was terribly expensive. only thing of those times i have seen are books - ten times censored, full with soviet propoganda. i had one about WWII, you would never believe all that. for example, there are several times that whole world was against the soviet union. say, if it would be true, would anyone care to open the west frontline? propoganda, propoganda

admins - sorry from taking off from topic
Xalo is offline                         Send a private message to Xalo
Old 28-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #33
Bp103
Game freak

I use $P, $G, I just program bacth files
Bp103 is offline                         Send a private message to Bp103
Old 28-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #34
_M@gno

More than one (I don't think there is a guy that only knows 1 language)

I know how to make a program using:
Pascal
C
C++
PHP (Well... this one is not used for making programs)
VB :not_ok: (I learnt this one at highschool and... i don't really like it... in fact it sucks)
(think HTML doesn't count)...

but... i've got a question:

:blink: Why are you asking?... What is the point?... What are you trying to find out? (if you are trying to find out something)... Not my intention to be rough... just asking k: .
_M@gno is offline                         Send a private message to _M@gno
Old 28-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #35
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Getting a general idea of what's mainly used, or might be useful to know who to ask 'bout what, I suppose. At least that's what I'd use it for.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 28-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #36
_M@gno

That's a good reason... k:
Anyway... I thoght he was trying to start out something with others...
_M@gno is offline                         Send a private message to _M@gno
Old 30-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #37
Ninja

The only languages I use are HTML and PHP. :|
Ninja is offline                         Send a private message to Ninja
Old 11-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #38
Eagg
Forum hobbit

You know one, you know them all, at least with the oo languages.

If you are seriously into programming you can't go without C/C++.
Assembler (Assembly) is not needed anymore in most cases, unless you work very close to undocumented hardware (no os api).

I am actually working more with Java myself, but that is only because university forces me to (practial exercises/experiments). It is quite a strong language but is based on a very inefficient VM.

Python gives a lot of options to skilled programmers, since it is not a strict langauge, there are some people calling themselves python-jedis and their code works by symbolic hand movements somehow I heard.
It is a nice concept for a clean looking language, though it's open style (no strict types) makes it less efficient than C.

And... not trying to break some peoples illusions, but HTML is no programming language .
Eagg is offline                         Send a private message to Eagg
Old 12-05-2006, 04:40 AM   #39
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagg@May 11 2006, 05:30 PM
You know one, you know them all, at least with the oo languages.
"OO languages" is pretty indeterminate... Lisp supports OO, but you're run-of-the-mill J2EE clown (not a reference to anyone around here, just a real-life frustration of mine) isn't going to understand jack about it. Knowing C++ will greatly aid in the comprehension of C, but it's still a decent gap in paradigms. Understanding C pointers -- which C++ hides to a pretty significant extent when you think about it -- is just crucial, and it's something completely absent from Java (as is memory management).

Then there are languages like Self, Smalltalk, Objective-C and so-on which are all entities unto themselves and which will really throw an "OO coder" for a loop. This is all notwithstanding the difficulty I've noticed which some people seem to have thinking in a procedural manner (think: C) when they've learned Java first.

Edit for clarification: I realize that Smalltalk and ObjC are object oriented, but they idea of messaging introduced in both is completely foreign to "traditional" OO languages (which, again, I realize is an interesting comment as Smalltalk is generally considered the granddaddy of all OO languages).
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #40
Eagg
Forum hobbit

You are right, I was generalizing too far.
I was thinking more of the "major" languages like C, C++, Java.
If you had a portion of functional languages like Haskell aswell then the rest is usually similar to either of them, unless it is Prolog .

Btw. did you know that programming in Smalltalk atm is by far the best payed programming job? I guess sometimes it payes being part of a species close to extinction.
Eagg is offline                         Send a private message to Eagg