Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 13-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Japo
Autonomous human

Default Warcraft II

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 14-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
bopgah

Thanks so much for posting this! Fantastic game, almost as good as the original. I would like to play online against a friend of mine though (not on the same LAN, he lives in another city). Does anyone know if this is possible to do through Dosbox?
bopgah is offline                         Send a private message to bopgah
Old 14-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopgah View Post
T I would like to play online against a friend of mine though (not on the same LAN, he lives in another city). Does anyone know if this is possible to do through Dosbox?
It's indeed possible ,but if you don't know how to do it you always simply can join Classic Gaming Arena, a site specialized in online gaming for dosbox.
http://www.classicgamingarena.com/

The game is listed on it.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 14-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopgah View Post
Does anyone know if this is possible to do through Dosbox?
http://yang-online.com/
Old 20-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
WillBKK

Hi guys,

first of all, this game brings back memories! I first played it as a demo copy at my grandad's house (not sure how he ended up with a copy of it!) and got hooked on it.

I seem to remember you can't group units etc, so I imagine it will be very clunky to play now, but am going to give it a go for the nostalgia.

QUESTION: I am trying to run it in DOSbox and failing. I have the folder at C:War2, and I am running DOSbox, mounting the folder (tried mounting it as drive C and also drive D as the game seems to prefer drive D?)
then running War2.bat, (also tried W2.exe) and getting into the game, but when I click to play single player it says I need the disk.

Have I missed something?

Any help appreciated
WillBKK is offline                         Send a private message to WillBKK
Old 20-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Assuming you followed the instructions at the game description (where normally a review is located and where you can download it) page here on Abandonia, and burned the two folders to a CD or made an ISO file of it, try using the following commands:

mount c c:
mount d X: -t cdrom
c:
cd \war2
war2.bat

where X: is the drive in which either your CD is located or the ISO which you mounted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBKK View Post
I seem to remember you can't group units etc, so I imagine it will be very clunky to play now, but am going to give it a go for the nostalgia.
Try pressing ALT + 1 (up to 5) or CTRL + 1 (up to 5)keys, those should memorize a group of units, and select that group instantly, if I remember correctly. Might be SHIFT + 1 also.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 20-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

The instructions on the download/review page does mention that the game must be mounted so that it's in a C:\WAR2\ folder inside DOSBox. But I guess it can be misunderstood to mean real instead of virtual location, I'll see if I can rephrase that, but this is always tricky for people. Scatty's commands would work if you skip the "mount d ..." one, as war2.bat mounts its own CD. Although it isn't recommended in general to mount your whole actual hard disk in DOSBox; it would be better something like "mount c c:\dos", if you put the game at "c:\dos\war2"

This archive's not original, it was made by Horseman, including the war2.bat loader. The CDs (the one for Tides of Darkness and the other one for the expansion) are included as folders and mounted by this script, and that's why you have to select which to play before starting the game, and you can't swap them without exiting the game, the way the archive is prepared.

Other approaches are possible, for example DOSBox allows several CDs to be prepared for mounting, by passing multiple arguments to a single mount command, and then swap them at any time with Ctrl+F4...

Last edited by Japo; 20-06-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 23-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
mongoose85

If you're having issues running single player on DosBox from a Mac/Linux computer it could be because the War2.bat script is assuming that your host system has windows-style file separators i.e \ instead of /. Since the War2.bat file is really just setting up the START.BAT file and then calling it, one way to fix the issue is by editing START.BAT manually and then starting the program by running START.BAT instead of War2.bat.

The following lines will need to be modified in START.BAT:
Line 2: Set wardir to the absolute path to the WAR2 folder on your host machine
Line 21: Change "%wardir%\TOD" to "%wardir%/TOD"
Line 25: Change "%wardir%\DP" to "%wardir%/DP"

Note that if you run War2.bat after you have modified START.BAT, it will overwrite the changes that you have made and you'll have to change the above lines again.
mongoose85 is offline                         Send a private message to mongoose85
Old 24-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

No, those scripts are run from within DOSBox, so whatever your OS is does not matter.

Incidentally, DOSBox accepts '/' as equivalent to '\'
Old 24-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose85 View Post
If you're having issues running single player on DosBox from a Mac/Linux computer it could be because the War2.bat script is assuming that your host system has windows-style file separators i.e \ instead of /. Since the War2.bat file is really just setting up the START.BAT file and then calling it, one way to fix the issue is by editing START.BAT manually and then starting the program by running START.BAT instead of War2.bat.

The following lines will need to be modified in START.BAT:
Line 2: Set wardir to the absolute path to the WAR2 folder on your host machine
Line 21: Change "%wardir%\TOD" to "%wardir%/TOD"
Line 25: Change "%wardir%\DP" to "%wardir%/DP"

Note that if you run War2.bat after you have modified START.BAT, it will overwrite the changes that you have made and you'll have to change the above lines again.
There's a text file somewhere in there IIRC that you can edit to make the change permament. Been a while since I set this up.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman