Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
ianfreddie07
wat

Default Our country's elections

I'm beginning to worry about election day here (May 10th).

Our country could possibly be in its worst state over time with the wrong candidate.

What I know about the 4 most popular choices:

Noynoy Aquino - The son of a former president (Corazon Aquino, also the first lady president of the Philippines) and a national hero (Benigno Aquino, Sr.). He announced his bid 40 days after his mother died, promising to end corruption, poverty, and some other stuff people who want to be presidents usually say. Very popular even if he's done almost nothing. Some treat him as the "chosen one" to follow the footsteps of his mother.

Manny Villar - Someone who's been in the senate for a pretty long time. Comes from a poor family but his wealth grew. He claims that he will end poverty because he grew up being a poor person himself. Unfortunately, that's all he says. He has a catchy song on his campaign which is all about poverty (asking if you've experienced swimming in a sea of trash, christmas on the middle of the road etc.). 2nd most popular.

Gilbert "Gibo" Teodoro, Jr. - The youngest candidate at 45 years old. He's a graduate of the university my dad studied in (happens to be a very good one). Ace pilot. Smart guy. Has good potential. 3rd most popular. A lot of people I see in Facebook support him. But I know little else...

Richard "Dick" Gordon - Another one who's been in the senate for a long time. From what I've been seeing, he's a no-nonsense guy. Intelligent, sensible and straight to the point. He used to be a mayor. He was also responsible for making Subic (tourist spot and a good place overall) a city with very disciplined people. My ideal pick. Not that popular though.

Here's their work experience:

Noynoy - Almost nothing, and yet he's winning in popularity.
Gordon - Win.
Gibo - Good but lacking.
Villar - Not too shabby.

A special mention ought to be said for Joseph Estrada. A former president who promised a lot and gave none, further screwing the country. And he's running for president AGAIN. Worse, some people believe he can make a change.

Oh, and our elections will use a different process in voting. Which might fail big time.

So uh, with all that said... what's the best that could happen and the worst that could happen to our country? I apologize if this is long but makes no sense. And I apologize for wasting your time as well.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

let's talk about communism
Old 06-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Anarchy anarchy woot woot woot!!

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 07-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

I know absolutely nothing about Filipino politics, but I do know a thing or two about Maryland, having been there several times. My experience allows me to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are definitely not in Maryland. Should you happen to visit Maryland sometime soon, I recommend checking out the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It's quite nice, although if you happen to have a fear of the ocean and all things that live there, you might prefer to attend an Orioles game instead.

Having checked the Orioles' 2010 record, I see that they're 8-21 right now, placing them firmly at the bottom of the American League East - and all of major-league baseball, in fact. Yikes. Maybe you should just go out for seafood.

Baltimore has many good seafood restaurants, including Captain James Landing on Boston Street. Be careful when asking directions; if the person to whom you are speaking gives you directions to Boston, Massachusetts, instead of Boston Street, you will arrive to discover that you are in a completely different state - the aforementioned Massachusetts - and roughly 400 miles from your beloved Baltimore. On the bright side, the Boston Red Sox, who are also in the AL East, are doing significantly better this year than the Orioles - but really, who isn't? (The Houston Astros, that's who.) For that reason, instead of driving all the way up to Boston just for a baseball game, you really should just stay in Baltimore and eat seafood. That does bring up the whole fear-of-the-ocean thing again, though. If that's still a problem, maybe Maryland isn't the place for you after all. You should probably forget about Massachusetts too.

Nebraska - now there's a nice, landlocked state, hundreds of miles from those fish-infested oceans. Unfortunately, I've never been there, so I couldn't tell you the first thing about it.

I hope that helps. Also, vote for the pilot.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

herp derp he doesn't live in maryland. the philippines isn't in the country list.

Noynoy: The only reason he's running for president is because his mother died. He didn't do anything when he was a senator, I doubt he'd do anything if he were president. The only reason he's so popular is because his mother and father died (Cory and Benigno Aquino)

Villar: The only reason he's popular is because of his ads.

Gibo: Good, but lacking. He's a pilot, but I'm not impressed because I play MS Flight Sim 2004.

Gordon: EPIC WIN

-Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Kugerfang; 08-05-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Himmler
Trollmaster General

I like turtles
Himmler is offline                         Send a private message to Himmler
Old 13-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugerfang View Post
herp derp he doesn't live in maryland. the philippines isn't in the country list.
I know he's not in Maryland; I was having a bit of fun. Actually, I just checked, and the Philippines is in the country list, although that may be a recent development. North Korea is in there too. Seriously, North Korea? Show of hands - how many people do we have here from the DPRK?
Old 13-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugerfang View Post
Gordon: EPIC WIN
Dunno him, but if his name is Gordon he's got to lose.