Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
red_avatar
Administrator

Default Dark Legions

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 28-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

I got the CD version to work without CD, at least in DOSBox.
Old 29-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Yes Or Nay
Forum hobbit

Looks interesting. Kinda reminds me of Dungeon Keeper considering you're managing demons etc. Will playtest and post my mind.
Yes Or Nay is offline                         Send a private message to Yes Or Nay
Old 29-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

awesome update red avatar!

@yes or nay- a od Prešóva, a ód Prešóva, a od Prešóva v tém polí
Old 29-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Yes Or Nay
Forum hobbit

I must admit I'm kind of disappointed in this game. After incredibly long installation (which most probably was my fault) and somewhat lenghty loading of the game itself I finally hopped on the playtesting. Picked up my monsters, set them on the battle field and... found it so confusing I had no idea what to do. Burns one's enthusiasm, it does.

I might overcome the complex interface later but nay right now.

@_r.u.s.s. Neše še Jánik šerdečko mojo, neše še Jánik na kóňu
Yes Or Nay is offline                         Send a private message to Yes Or Nay
Old 30-03-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes Or Nay View Post
I must admit I'm kind of disappointed in this game. After incredibly long installation (which most probably was my fault) and somewhat lenghty loading of the game itself I finally hopped on the playtesting. Picked up my monsters, set them on the battle field and... found it so confusing I had no idea what to do. Burns one's enthusiasm, it does.

I might overcome the complex interface later but nay right now.

@_r.u.s.s. Neše še Jánik šerdečko mojo, neše še Jánik na kóňu
I added the manual for a reason .

The creatures all have different advantages and disadvantages. That's what makes the game fun! Like all the great games, you just need to put in some effort.

If you want to get to grips with the game, I'd start out with a "hopeless" AI and buy water elementals at first. They're a very straight forward unit that can attack from far away and they're good against nearly every unit.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 30-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Yes Or Nay
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
I added the manual for a reason .

The creatures all have different advantages and disadvantages. That's what makes the game fun! Like all the great games, you just need to put in some effort.

If you want to get to grips with the game, I'd start out with a "hopeless" AI and buy water elementals at first. They're a very straight forward unit that can attack from far away and they're good against nearly every unit.
You see, I prefer games I can learn to play directly ingame either through playing the game itself or going on through a tutorial. I don't favour manuals (except somewhere where it is really needed, i.e. Realms of Arkania). Games are meant to be fun and entertainment and I don't see no fun in reading through manual pages and then applying the knowledge on the game, maybe only when I'm hopelessly stuck. And when I'm stuck at the very beginning of the game, then something's wrong.

I don't prefer steep learning curves, rather the straightforward ones, yet where the game does not lack in depth itself.
Old 31-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes Or Nay View Post
You see, I prefer games I can learn to play directly ingame either through playing the game itself or going on through a tutorial. I don't favour manuals (except somewhere where it is really needed, i.e. Realms of Arkania). Games are meant to be fun and entertainment and I don't see no fun in reading through manual pages and then applying the knowledge on the game, maybe only when I'm hopelessly stuck. And when I'm stuck at the very beginning of the game, then something's wrong.

I don't prefer steep learning curves, rather the straightforward ones, yet where the game does not lack in depth itself.
I played this game fine without a manual when I was only 14 and hardly understood English so it hardly has that steep a learning curve . You can even check all units in-game and see their stats if you really need them.

Also, even if you ignore the stats, it's still not that complex - the fun comes from experimenting and discovering the weaknesses and strengths of each unit on your own. With a game like this, it's unavoidable for it to require some work from your part otherwise the game would have to be a lot weaker and more shallow to work.

Old 31-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Yes Or Nay
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
I played this game fine without a manual when I was only 14 and hardly understood English so it hardly has that steep a learning curve . You can even check all units in-game and see their stats if you really need them.

Also, even if you ignore the stats, it's still not that complex - the fun comes from experimenting and discovering the weaknesses and strengths of each unit on your own. With a game like this, it's unavoidable for it to require some work from your part otherwise the game would have to be a lot weaker and more shallow to work.
I didn't say that this specific game is hard to get a grip on, I mentioned I found it confusing to understand what exactly to do. I mean, I was just thrown into action with no hints or what. I guess it's a matter of willigness to delve deeper into the matter. I just don't like being left out in the darkness with no idea what the hell to do. You may think otherwise, but this game strikes me as one of that kind.

And I certainly agree that you must cooperate if you wish the game to be an entertaining amusement, I never said the opposite. That would be utter madness.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
Profit7
Default Possible to play multiplayer over the Net?

I loved this game when it originally came out. Any way to play head to head with someone over the Internet or a LAN?

Thanks for the great site!!!!!!!!!