Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
tomimt

If that's just a marketing stunt, then it's not cool at all.
tomimt is offline                         Send a private message to tomimt
Old 19-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
Elwing

Such a pity - Never bought any games from them and I regret it now, nothing last forever folks!
It was an indeed good contribution to our beloved old game scene!
Hope they can come back somehow with another formula, like stated on their twitter...

EDIT: indeed, reading all the posts (as I should before posting! hehe) - is all bad publicity, good publicity? Hope they don't sell out, the games and their week-end discount were pretty awesome and cheap... Oh well...

Last edited by Elwing; 19-09-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Elwing is offline                         Send a private message to Elwing
Old 19-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
UnconformistSheep
Forum hobbit

I never heard of GOG.com before...

For the benefit of anyone in my position, here's what I've gathered about them: this was a Polish company that would tweak old games to make them run on modern systems, sometimes with the help of emulators like DosBox or Scummvm. They didn't use DRM (ie. restrictions on how many copies you could make of the games).

Couldn't find a copy of their catalog though. Out of curiosity, someone please list a few games they delivered and that you couldn't be run otherwise. Also, what "modern systems" did they support: not Ubuntu I suppose? :-(
UnconformistSheep is offline                         Send a private message to UnconformistSheep
Old 19-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #14
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Windows. Here's a listing of their catalogue from circa 4 months ago:
list of GOG releases dated 31 June 2010

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

If this *is* a publicity stunt, it's hardly likely to get them any new customers.

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 20-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #16
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnconformistSheep View Post
Also, what "modern systems" did they support: not Ubuntu I suppose? :-(
Back when the forum was still up, I noticed quite a few threads mentioning this game or that game runs well with Wine under Ubuntu.

Oh, and although it has nothing to do with the games, they provide downloader application that is developed in Adobe Air, which while is not open source still runs in Linux.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 20-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #17
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

If it is them just changing to a final Gog.com rather than the beta this is a pretty bad way of doing it. A simple note saying "Hey Gog.com customers we are down while we change over to our final non-beta form, please be patient."

I am of the feeling this doesn't mean the site is down for good, rather just changing to something else done in a very silly and stupid way.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 20-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #18
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
If it is them just changing to a final Gog.com rather than the beta this is a pretty bad way of doing it. A simple note saying "Hey Gog.com customers we are down while we change over to our final non-beta form, please be patient."

I am of the feeling this doesn't mean the site is down for good, rather just changing to something else done in a very silly and stupid way.
It's very well possible the "no-DRM" part will drop then which is what made GOG so appealing to me because even IF GOG went down, all their games still remain playable. If they DO come back and add DRM, surely people will go "but you almost died once already! If we buy games NOW, we may lose them for real!"

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 20-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Darn... rarely I see a Polish game-related project being internatonally successful, so it would be a shame to lose it.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 20-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
Panthro
Man of Science

New news:
Got this on twitter from @GOGcom: "Please check http://www.gog.com/ for a small update"
On the website they have an update:
UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.
The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.
Two days to wait until we get answers...
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro