Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
articles on wikipedia are written by non-professionals who are writing just what concerns to their attention, it might be that they are wrong and mixing things up... [/b]
This is one of the reasons why so many people take a piss off Wikipedia and anything posted in it.
Myself, I just think that any potentially critical information found on Wikipedia should be verified using other sources before I fully believe it.
[/b][/quote]

Exactly my opinion. If you got a topic for an essay or something like that or want to get to know something about a country where you spent yout holidays, then wikipedia sure is a place where you can get a very first impression. But for more details one always should use more reliable sources...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 05-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #12
Goldenbird05

abandonware is abandonware right?
show me where is shown, that syndicate wars is copyright by esa in 2007.
i know what do you mean...but its only a hope from me.
i have this great game so I don't care.

P.S. Gameswelt is a legal site like fileplanet...
Goldenbird05 is offline                         Send a private message to Goldenbird05
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 AM   #13
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Goldenbird05 @ Apr 5 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]286279[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
abandonware is abandonware right?[/b]
Yes, but pretty much every site out there has its own definition, and more than a few confuse abandonware with freeware.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Goldenbird05 @ Apr 5 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]286279[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
show me where is shown, that syndicate wars is copyright by esa in 2007.[/b]

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index...howtopic=13107
http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=awlist

Quote:
P.S. Gameswelt is a legal site like fileplanet...[/b]
Which doesn't mean mishaps don't occur for them.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 AM   #14
velik_m
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Goldenbird05 @ Apr 5 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]286279[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
show me where is shown, that syndicate wars is copyright by esa in 2007.[/b]
It's not copyrighted by ESA, it's copyrighted by a member of ESA. It doesn't expire in 2007, copyrights (at current) last 95 years. SW was made in 1993, so the copyright expires in 2088 (provided that the laws don't change - up until now the copyright length has been only extended and will likely to continue so).
The 2007(?) date is a result of a deal between ESA and Abandonia - provided that a member of ESA in question doesn't object, a game of ESA member can be added on Abandonia, if it's older than 15 years (for more info see horseman's links). If Abandonia would to break its part of the deal, ESA would stop tolerating this site (which is illegal) and would shut it down.
Old 22-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
12turtle12
Game freak

How does one go about changing the law? How many great games are only 10 years old or so, somebody who owns the rights to it doesn't care about it anymore, but the copyright is there, so noone can get to it? It isn't sold or available at all! I could name a few games like this...
Also, I know of a place that has Syndicate on emulation for a console, so if you wanted that maybe contact me, but I'm not posting about it. Thanks!

btw - velik, where is that "always to the east" quote from? It's familiar. Diablo 2 perhaps?
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 22-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #16
velik_m
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Apr 22 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]287966[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
How does one go about changing the law?[/b]
Voting, revolution... didn't they teach you anything in school?
Old 23-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #17
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Apr 22 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]287966[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
How does one go about changing the law? How many great games are only 10 years old or so, somebody who owns the rights to it doesn't care about it anymore, but the copyright is there, so noone can get to it? It isn't sold or available at all! I could name a few games like this...[/b]
Copyright laws actually last for about 75-95 years (depending on the country). The 10-15 year period is a result of a deal we have made with ESA - and for that reason, we're making damn sure to respect it.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Apr 22 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]287966[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Also, I know of a place that has Syndicate on emulation for a console, so if you wanted that maybe contact me, but I'm not posting about it. Thanks![/b]
Nonethless, this is a warez offer. Please take this back before one of the admins issues a warning.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-04-2007, 02:36 AM   #18
12turtle12
Game freak

(Sorry for the spam if there's a way to update an old post...)

Also, I know emulation is not legal, but if a company owns the rights to PC version of something, do they also hold the rights to consoles, or does it depend?

Sorry, this should have come before my last post.

I understand the copyrighting, I'm just asking, is it possible to petition the company or something? Take Daggerfall for instance, *yes I know they released Arena* why not release it w/ Arena for around $20 or so? They did it with Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition, and I know people crying all the time for Daggerfall on the 'net.

*offer taken back - I know nothing...*
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 27-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #19
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
do they also hold the rights to consoles, or does it depend?[/b]
If they were the ones porting the game to a given console.

And I agree that re-releasing some of their titles would always be welcome.

-- Reed Richards
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #20
JJXB
Pi-voh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Apr 27 2007, 02:36 AM) [snapback]288582[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Also, I know emulation is not legal[/b]
emulation is legal, some of the ways of getting whatever is being emulated is illegal (example, the bios files or the rom files) unless you own that particular system and you dump the bios/roms from your system.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB