Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

no, the point of d&d was to play in a party, this game just didn't think through the unbalances in single player mode
Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Are you talking to me R.u.s.s....cause thats pretty much what I said.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

it is not unbalance in the AD&D rules though
Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Well it is an unbalance in the rule set. All the characters are unbalanced..when viewed on their own. Some characters are better at single play (and there were plenty of single play modules out there.) then others. Even in groups some characters were more important then others. It's not a bad thing, it's natural really, and for a game like this the unbalance is much more obvious.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 09-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #15
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well, you make a ruleset for a game to be played in parties. some characters are better for bigger parties some not. you're not just gonna pick a single character bard, but dungeon hack has no other option than "single player" so it's kind of dungeon hack's fault for trying to force dungeon and dragons onto something that doesn't suit it
Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #16
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

But R.u.s.s you are ignoring the fact, which I have already pointed out, that AD&D was often played by only one person. Single play modules where out there and people who didn't have enough friends or who wanted to play a game without them could do so. The core rulebook even has a single play module in it to get people up to speed on how to play the game.

This game might not be the best single player Dungeon game ever (Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore and others are much better thanks to their actual story elements) but it's hardly bad because of using the AD&D ruleset properly.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #17
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

you're not reading what i'm writing. yes, if you play as a single player then you chose the single character good for single player. you don't go create a whole new complete game with included options that are in fact useless for this game anyways, that is just stupid. they picked the wrong thing for a wrong purpose

like, oh hey, let's create a tetris game with adnd rules
Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 AM   #18
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

What do you mean its useless. This game is like Eye of the Beholder....which used AD&D rules. The game is fun to play, they included all the character types they could, some are harder then others to play with but they are all fun.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

but you said that it's some kind of "adnd unbalance", it's not unbalance at all, it's inappropriate use of them
Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #20
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

It's not inappropriate use of them, this is what D&D is all about, doing what you want in a fantasy world. Playing with a single character is a viable option with all the characters, some are just harder to do, others are easier. This is true both for the game and for the Single Play modules they had out there for AD&D. No one forced you not to play a Wizard or Rogue, the option was always there, but by doing so you would have a harder time.

As additional information at the time TSR and SSI were all apart of the D&D company...this game is made by the same company who made the books. Its a game for people who love/loved AD&D and want to play a computer game of it, in the style of Lands of Lore or Eye of the Beholder but with more depth in the use of the rules..i.e using all of the rules. Its also trying to be a Dungron Crawl game, like Nethack and the like but with a first person graphics. Either way any unbalance is from the core rules, not this game, or this games use of the rules. Why restrict which class someone could pick, just because it might be harder to play that way?