Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Ok, this is kind of odd - for me at the very least - and I just don't know what to think of it.

You see, I've put together this piece of oldschool computer recently, using parts from multiple sources (all working, though, and assembled 100% correctly). Just my idea of having a good time.

Now, I've been feeling a little inquisitive to run a couple diagnostics on the hardware - especially the memory - for possible faults, through using the "Ultimate Boot CD" (v 3.3). Well, it didn't boot, even though the CD has been burned 100% correctly (been using it on another, a bit newer machine recently).
Then, later, I've tried to install FreeDos OS on it (this is, on the machine's second HD - the primary HD is already in the clutch of Windows 98). Once again, the computer did not find the boot record.
Finally, on Saturday, I quite felt like having a look on the so-called "damn small Linux". According to the info on the main site, it should well enough function on this hardware... guess what - it didn't. Once again, the dumb machine did not detect the boot record.

Now, I am a bit unsure what to make of it, since the computer has most definitely been able to boot Windows 98 SE and Dos 7.1 CD's - several subsequent times, in fact.

Urgh... right now when I'm posting it, the machine refused to cooperate with Dos 7.1 disc as well. Once again - "System Type = 00"

Any other ideas on what might cause the problems?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Gandalf

I'm not sure if I understand correctly... What do you mean with "did not find the boot record"?

What exactly happens when you try to boot your System with the Ultimate Boot CD?
Do you get a blue or black screen? Does it crash with a cryptic error code? Does it say "no systemdisk"?

Or is the problem as simple as the CD and/or floppy drives being skipped at boottime (i.e. the Computer loads Win98 without noticing the boot media)? Then you should re-order your boot devices in the BIOS...
Gandalf is offline                         Send a private message to Gandalf