Go Back   Forums > Graveyard > Trash Can
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
Alkarion

While the games collection of abandonia is certainly excellent, I'd like to see some DOS apps as well. The interest for apps seems to be very low in the whole abandonware scene and with the arrival of DOSBOX many apps seem to be superfluous.

But if you want to have the authentic "old school experience" and want to set up a legacy computer many of those old apps would come in handy. Besides the most popular ones like MS-DOS 6.22 though, these old apps are really hard to find. Perhaps some are already lost, which would be a shame.

The site Dan's 20th Century Abandonware gives a good overview of the DOS apps which should be preserved and made available. I know most users may not be interested in these apps and some would be very hard if not impossible to come by. But would it not be challenging to set up a comprehensive archive of such hard-to-come-by-software?

If everyone (active in computing since the '80s) searched his old 5.25" floppy archive, I'm sure a lot of old apps could be found. Well, I'd like to hear what you think about this.
Alkarion is offline                         Send a private message to Alkarion
Old 10-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
FreeFreddy

Of course a good idea. Though I actually found around 4-5 sites that concentrate on the old Ms-Dos applications too, when I last searched for the abandonware sites (around 6-7 months ago now). So I wouldn't say that this area is about to be forgotten. For everything there're people that care about it.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Alkarion

I had some difficulty finding sites which center on DOS apps. Perhaps you could post some of the sites you found (I'm not talking about slowdown applications. These can be found in abundance).
Alkarion is offline                         Send a private message to Alkarion
Old 10-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
GraveDigger
Game Wizzard

Send a message via ICQ to GraveDigger

Here is a LIST available on a site.
GraveDigger is offline                         Send a private message to GraveDigger
Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
FreeFreddy

List is good, but what use does it have?..

Well, of course I can't find these sites now again, imagine I wandered back then the depths of Google to find some games LOL
But here are some examples I could find on a light search:
Dust bin (some light programs here)
Scratch Upload (huge directory here, needs time to browse, though. This one is actually the site really dedicated to these)
Gosfish Games (some applications...)

Old 11-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I already mentioned creating a Dos section a few months ago, and i uploaded key DOS software in my FTP software, also a few months ago...
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Abandonia is 'Home of Abandonware DOS Games' and not applications, OS's or anything, imho at least. In the end it's Kosta that decides which direction the site goes off course, but I say: "Let abandonia focus on its strenth, which is games, and let other people focus on the apps".
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 11-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There is some cool stuff, sure... like what, MSG (and it's game-related too!). Basically a multi-game save editor basing off of script files, with capability of creating your own scripts too. Dunno if it was too popular (or known outside Poland at all), but it's just pure genius... I also like trying to use that script editor for other non-savegame-related stuff - cos its a nice challenge.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

exactly, let me focus on the aps, that's why i proposed this idea ages ago.I didn't expect any help then, and i don't now, i just need a link from the main page, and a little space to do my thing(less than 50 mb would be enough).Adding old aps would only complement(*correct usage?*) the site's image as a DOS haven
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 11-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
NrmMyth
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@Apr 11 2005, 01:44 PM
Abandonia is 'Home of Abandonware DOS Games' and not applications, OS's or anything, imho at least. In the end it's Kosta that decides which direction the site goes off course, but I say: "Let abandonia focus on its strenth, which is games, and let other people focus on the apps".
Well if you want that ABANDONIA earns more prestigue, it would be great that Kosta also focus on Apps.