Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 24-01-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 16-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
MasterGrazzt
Game Wizzard

Gateway is one of the best novels I have ever read. It is very different than the game. It also has one of the best "twists" and "fake climax" I've ever seen. Try and hunt it down, even if you think this game is boring or has a bad plot.
MasterGrazzt is offline                         Send a private message to MasterGrazzt
Old 04-01-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
J.P.

:help:

Gah! I'm at the end and I need some help.

Warning, spoilers ahead, I suggest you ignore the remainder of this post if you have not played the game.

Ok, problem is this: I'm at the Demon Gauntlet. I've gotten past it once and survived. I'm reading the online hintbook by the way, and it tells me to go back. I can't get more than five steps south without getting killed. I've tried multiple things, but nothing can get me past them again. So, simply, help.

-J.P. (new here btw)
J.P. is offline                         Send a private message to J.P.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
J.P.

Uh, helloooooo? *echo* *echo* *echo*

:P

Wow, I just post yesterday and the topic gets pushed back to the second page. I would like some help. <_<

-J.P.
J.P. is offline                         Send a private message to J.P.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoiler to JP
Hell is a circle. Just go N over and over, and you'll get back to the beginning again. k:
Old 15-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
fouzzie motto

this game is really fun.....

Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
sharpnova

J.P. are you running this game with DOSBOX?

Old 22-09-2009, 02:05 AM   #8
DeckPrism

Default disapointed

I rememeber this game. It IS short. It only starts with the basic set up from the book, and then diverges both in terms of plot and feel. It also felt sterile, in that once you finish with an NPC at a location, they may remain there but at that point they are furniture, or maybe a parrot with no memory and no further function. Or, the hall with the prospector cabins in it has about 3 and they are all empty except yours, for the whole station, IIRC. That kind of thing broke my suspension of disbelief. I found the game easy except for one puzzle which seemed a bit illogical to me. And the damn interface seems like it offers you a zillion thing you can do, until you try stuff and none of it works. The environment only has a few ways that you can actualy interact with it. I wish they either would have made the environment interactable to the extent of their list, or shortened the list. Otherwise the list just wastes your time.

The one thing I did not try was entering random codes into the ship and seeing what happened. The letter I got back from the company after I complained about the game hinted that doing so would do a few neat things. Be sure to save the game first though because some of them will likely cause you to die or get trapped by a black hole.
DeckPrism is offline                         Send a private message to DeckPrism
Old 25-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
MightyMouser

Boy, not much said about this game lately.

I've been playing it off and on for a while and there was a point where I got stuff and stopped playing it for several months. Just not jumped back into it and (regrettably) with a walkthrough managed to soldier on.

I know the review complains about the music but I think it's pretty good myself. Granted, it's no Scummbar theme or Betrayal at Krondor or whatever, but I think it fits the game well.

It's an interesting game to me in respect towards it's interface what with the cross between text parser and graphics that you can somewhat interact with. It feels like a bridge between the older text based adventures and the newer (at the time) point and click adventure games. Which reminds me of that string of movies between 1928-30. Sound movies had just come out and now they had these weird hybrid movies where certain scenes would have sound and at other times they would revert back to the text cards for dialogue. Anyway, Gateway reminds me of that, I don't know if any other games (beyond it's sequel I guess) did anything like that, but it's neat I think.

The game's story is a little thin, that much is for sure. And there is pretty minimal interactivity with other characters that can kind of take out of the game some. But its concept and premise is so delicious that it gets away with it with relatively little problem. The way they have you go about using your ship and exploring (rather blindly haha) for other planets is extremely immersive and fun.

Haven't finished it, but will sometime fairly soon I hope. Can't wait to play the sequel and I'll probably even read the novel. Really fun game.
MightyMouser is offline                         Send a private message to MightyMouser
Old 25-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

The interface was the same as many other games by the company Legend.

I liked this somewhat, but it's the sequel that's really good.