Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: What religion do you believe in?
Catholic 7 8.43%
Atheist 27 32.53%
"Born Again" 3 3.61%
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) 3 3.61%
Christian non-denominational 8 9.64%
Hindu 1 1.20%
Pagan 0 0%
Lutheran 2 2.41%
Presbyterian 1 1.20%
Methodist 0 0%
Jewish 4 4.82%
Protestant 2 2.41%
Islam 3 3.61%
Other 5 6.02%
"I make my own religion" 15 18.07%
"None of your business" 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-02-2005, 07:27 AM   #191
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Raemus, this morning I was looking at your poll options again and noted something:
There's about 8 flavours of christianity in your poll, yet Islam is only one option, whereas there are many different variants (Sjittes, Sunnites, Alefits etc.) and many Jewish fractions as well (Karaites, Chasidim, Rabbanites etc.). Undoubtebly Hindus have distinctions as well...

Can you explain why you've obviously found it important to make different fractions instead of 'christian' and did not do so for the other (major) religions? This is not intended as a flame, but mostly out of interest...
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 22-02-2005, 02:12 PM   #192
FlightorFight

Quote:
Raemus, this morning I was looking at your poll options again and noted something:
There's about 8 flavours of christianity in your poll, yet Islam is only one option, whereas there are many different variants (Sjittes, Sunnites, Alefits etc.) and many Jewish fractions as well (Karaites, Chasidim, Rabbanites etc.). Undoubtebly Hindus have distinctions as well...

Can you explain why you've obviously found it important to make different fractions instead of 'christian' and did not do so for the other (major) religions? This is not intended as a flame, but mostly out of interest...
I know it's directed to Reamus, but he's not European...there's a very small number if Islamic people here...especially in CA. I don't know about him, but I just don't know much about the religions that we don't see very often because I don't get much of a chance to learn about it from people who belong to those respective religions.

I don't mean to sound arrogant or ignorant, but I suppose I am a little ignorant if I don't know about those other religions
FlightorFight is offline                         Send a private message to FlightorFight
Old 22-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #193
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@Feb 22 2005, 12:27 AM

FlightorFight is exactly right. Here in CA, it's not like we have a huge diversity of ethnic groups around where I live. To be honest, I had never even heard of Sjittes, Sunnites, Rabbanites, etc. In my area, the main diversity is Christian churches, so I put on the poll what I know. I apologize if I offended anyone, but then again, that is also why I put "other" :angel:
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 22-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #194
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well actually there are two major different kinds of jews. Ashkenazim and Sepharadim.
But to call these two different (as in sunni/shiite or catholic/protestant different) would be quite a large mistake. Except for a few vice verse jokes there is no difference of opinion between the two, its purely geographical (and the order of some prayers is different)
Now there are different cults but these differences only come out in Israel, but here in the Golah (hebrew word meaning: outside israel, the diaspora) most groups (religious, ultra-religious and the not-quite-so-religious) work together. The only really different group of jews is a political one, namely the Naturei Charta. These are ultra-orthodox jews who say Jews should stay in the Golah because its a punishment of god. Now there are within the ultra-orthodox group different groups following different ideals but these groups are so very very small that they are little more than a cult.
Old 22-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #195
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

mm.. I have to admit I was a bit unsure about the jewish fractions, but those were the ones I could find with a quick google Thanks for the enlightment Stroggy!

It's just that here in The Netherlands there's currently a lot of debate going on about so-called "muslim-terrorism". In the debate there's a lot of ignorance concerning the Islam (I must admit I don't really know a lot about it myself) the one 'all muslims are the same' idea tends to oversimplify the issue... ah well...

But I don't think you really offended anyone, Raemus It was just, I was thinking about this poll while showering this morning (don't ask me why :whistle and this thought struck my mind
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 24-02-2005, 09:42 PM   #196
Xikarita
Abandonia nerd

I just noticed this poll... but religion is a very ''hot'' issue, so just make sure you don't offend anyone.
Old 24-02-2005, 11:26 PM   #197
Mentor
[BANNED]

Oh, boo-fekkin-hoo. I sure hope nobody gets offended.

Man, if anyone's offended by ANY conversation they just need to lighten the fek up.

For example, I hate Christians in general. Some have redeemed themselves, but anyone who's a self-proclaimed Christian automatically goes down about ten notches in my book. They're mostly sheep and idiots who blindly follow whatever their Holy book tells them, and many don't even do that, they just listen to their local pastor. And they use the book as evidence when it's so obviously a work of hash-induced fiction it's insane.

How's THAT for offensive?
Mentor is offline                         Send a private message to Mentor
Old 24-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #198
einherjar

I find it amusing how people think they are contributing to a conversation about religion when all they do is insult religions that they are not a part of. How can a person fully attain adulthood if they cannot accept the beliefs of other people and just leave it at that? Why bother going out of your way to offend other people who practice a religion you know so little about?

What is the most common cause of war? Religion. People don't understand other peoples' religious beliefs, and so they try to impose their own beliefs on them in order to fulfill their religion. Has no one here actually taken the time to study various religions?

Old 24-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #199
Darken
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to Darken Send a message via AIM to Darken Send a message via MSN to Darken Send a message via Yahoo to Darken

Quote:
Originally posted by Mentor@Feb 25 2005, 12:26 AM
Oh, boo-fekkin-hoo. I sure hope nobody gets offended.

Man, if anyone's offended by ANY conversation they just need to lighten the fek up.

For example, I hate Christians in general. Some have redeemed themselves, but anyone who's a self-proclaimed Christian automatically goes down about ten notches in my book. They're mostly sheep and idiots who blindly follow whatever their Holy book tells them, and many don't even do that, they just listen to their local pastor. And they use the book as evidence when it's so obviously a work of hash-induced fiction it's insane.

How's THAT for offensive?
hahahha.
I agree with you on the blindly following point. I myself am not atheist but I dont go out of my way to belive in God. I choose not to follow an old senial child molesting priest and or pastor. I dont see how people can bring themselves to church on sunday when they know whats going on in their religion. It boggles my mind.

Oh and its really sad when the bible refers to its followers as sheep. Dumb, stinky, blind, mindless sheep.
Darken is offline                         Send a private message to Darken
Old 25-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #200
einherjar

Looks like someone doesn't watch the news.

Closed Thread