Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Default Incubation - Time is Running Out

This is the place to talk about Incubation.

Don't be shy (:
Old 16-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
jakobstrom

My first post...

Incubation is a great game. One should consider it almost as a puzzle game because there aren't that many ways to win some battles. Of course the chance plays a big part in Incubation making it challenging and varying. But why my gun always jams when its needed the most...

At it's time Incubation was a first one to give a real 3D environment to turn based combat; although very limited if you compare it to one of my favorite game of the genre; Silent Storm (2004).

That didn't hurt... maybe I'll post second time... perhaps next year...

Cheers
jakobstrom is offline                         Send a private message to jakobstrom
Old 16-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
red_avatar
Administrator

It's a great game but it gets very tough later on. A lot of it is luck based, too. My friend at the time, wasn't quite the brightest guy, yet he got ahead of me. So I said, okay, you play on my game and I'll watch but he got his ass kicked anyway while his game had been full of lucky shots.

Sure, the same goes for most turn based games (in Fallout 2, luck even plays a ridiculously big role) but this game can be very frustrating because of it. Any good strategy gets wiped out because you miss three good shots in a row that should all three have hit.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 16-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
jakobstrom

Well put red_avatar.

Luck, chance, randomness makes some games worth playing. I recently played old Taipan. Because of randomness of the game, you'll be on your toes all the time and you can easily lose everything in a sec (well maybe I'm bit nostalgic, but I like the game anyway).

Back to Incubation. It is also excellent when played with a friend. I don't remember if it has any other options than hot seat, but that was fun.

btw.
One can play Taipan in browser in it's "original" form in www.taipangame.com. Good and greatly evolved variation of the game is Smugglers IV.

Second post this year.. I'm on fire.

Cheers
jakobstrom is offline                         Send a private message to jakobstrom
Old 17-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Havent personally played it, but from what I've heard, its pretty underrated. It came and went without much of fireworks, but critics liked it.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 18-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
gfgdsgdfs

Though I've been owning this game nearly from the release, just managed to finish this few months ago.

In my opinion the first half of the game is more puzzle-like where you do the hardest thinking. Last half is more like blasting your way through, albeit often with a serious hurry like in the whole game.

The game is fairly challenging in the beginning missions when you don't have much ammo or melee options in your assaulters/sewer guards. Then it gets a bit easier untill around after the robot levels and gets harder and harder all the way through the factory assault and when you start to encounter spiders.

The end game wasn't as hard as it could be - I had acquired experience on all my guys and hadn't used commendations, so when jetpacks came into play I equipped my team with them and after that it went rather easy. I'm not sure if the game was balaced around that.

Tip: Trying to examine all chests in every level results in usually MUCH harder runs, but meh, reward is a reward.

Tip: Don't conserve on commendations too much. I had plenty of them left in the last mission, so it seemed like a waste to save them.

Old 19-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Mrazerty
Forum hobbit

I have windows vista and windows 7. Will it work correctly on one of those if I use the right compatibility mode?
Mrazerty is offline                         Send a private message to Mrazerty
Old 19-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Try and see, propably depends on your hardware. I have installed and played this game on both Vista and Win7 (32-bit).
Old 19-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
DeadSomething

i cant get it to run, though i downloaded a complete iso from a sharesite.
even with the patch 1.02 it still says "copy protection".
DeadSomething is offline                         Send a private message to DeadSomething
Old 20-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Bejelith
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Yahoo to Bejelith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSomething View Post
i cant get it to run, though i downloaded a complete iso from a sharesite.
even with the patch 1.02 it still says "copy protection".
Look for the 1.03 patch. I applied it (right after applying the 1.02 patch), then the crack, and it worked fine on XP.

You can find it in the ISO Cellar Incubation thread.
Bejelith is offline                         Send a private message to Bejelith