Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
chipschap

Default Try a booter

I can't believe how great this game is, and how it took me so long to discover it.

Anyhow as mentioned above the save game structure is awkward. So I developed a menu system for it (using DOS batch) and built a DOS version of jdiff so you only save the changes to STARA.COM and STARB.COM. I put everything into bootable image format; I preload SF.COM for the code wheel (this is the thing to press SHIFT-PRTSCRN when asked for a code, but it fouls up some video on some systems still it's worth a try). I play either from a bootable floppy (really) or an image of the floppy. If you want to try it get my bootable image at

http://www.bobnewell.net/filez/starflt.xdi

and use

http://www.bobnewell.net/filez/xpack.zip

to unpack to a 3 1/2 inch floppy. Or else grab

http://www.bobnewell.net/filez/starflt.img

and use this as a booter image in DOSBOX (works very well for me).

Worth a try, makes managing multiple save games, etc., much easier. (If it doesn't work for you, or you don't like it, hey it's free, just delete.)
chipschap is offline                         Send a private message to chipschap
Old 17-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

very nice, thank you
Old 25-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
Mousazz
Game freak

Very nice game! I love it . I mean, it was inspired by star control II after all...

In any case, I found a manual for the amiga version (works for other versions too) on Lemon amiga and a protection-code generator at StarFLT.com. Hope it helps .
Mousazz is offline                         Send a private message to Mousazz
Old 25-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by einartass View Post
Very nice game! I love it . I mean, it was inspired by star control II after all...
You mean the other way around, SC2 was inspired by SF, right?
Old 25-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
Orion66

Hey guys. Any idea why in combat, my ship never fires it's missiles? All it fires is the laser. Thanks for any replies.
Orion66 is offline                         Send a private message to Orion66
Old 27-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #16
dkw
Forum hobbit

Lasers are used when the target is close enough and neither ship is moving.
Missiles are used when either your ship or the targeted ship is moving, or the target ship is far enough away.
This applies to the enemy as well.
Missiles, while more powerful, use more Energy and are less accurate. If you are moving and the target is not directly in front of you or behind you, your missiles will miss, becoming a waste of Energy. This also makes it possible to dodge missiles if you are quick enough.
Old 18-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #17
gumpy
Game freak

It's amazing how much the game designers were able to squeeze into the computer restrictions of the time. This really is an amazing game, and is a must play!

The sequel Starflight 2 is also a great game!
gumpy is offline                         Send a private message to gumpy
Old 04-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #18
rickenaz
Lurker

Thumbs up Best Ever!

I picked up Starflight in 86 or 87. I was a bit dissapointed that there were no Star trek games available at the time and this was $29.95 or about that(expensive for the time). This game took me by complete surprise. I spent months messing with it's nooks and crannies. I have played the gambit of Space games but this one leaves them all behind. It is very easy to slip into the role of the commander of a ship searching the deepest places of the galaxy. It's graphics are generally basic but get the job done. And honestly all those guys attempting to make a Starflight III with fancy graphics are missing the boat on this game. This game plays like a good book and the imagination is a bigger part of the visual effects. Love this game and when I get my scanner back up and running I will up load pics of the box and both manuals for starflight I and II.
rickenaz is offline                         Send a private message to rickenaz
Old 18-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
HermitFromPluto

I just played for a few hours. Then I descended onto a planet with too high gravity (my sensors could not read the gravity beforehand). It said you are being crushed and exited out of the game. Now I can't load it sohave to reinstall.

Is there any way around this? Or every time you die unexpectedly you lose everything and have to start again?

STOP PRESS: I've figured it out. I read through all the readme, and figured out how to do the 'remember' and 'goback' commands after you leave the game. A bit unusual - but now i'm up and away and exploring the universe without fear of having to start again.

Seems like a really cool game from first impressions.

Last edited by HermitFromPluto; 18-06-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Answered own question
HermitFromPluto is offline                         Send a private message to HermitFromPluto
Old 08-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #20
The Bloodhawk

I just started playing, and I got pulled over by the intergalactic police for "software theft" and they killed me. I didn't have any weapons yet, and I didn't get time to talk to them. Is there a way around this safeguard, or is my ship destined for a life on the run from the PO-lice?!

Edit: I just found out what I'm supposed to do. I thought the code at the beginning was something it was asking me to create for future use, since it didn't tell me I was wrong.

Last edited by The Bloodhawk; 08-09-2011 at 04:01 AM.
The Bloodhawk is offline                         Send a private message to The Bloodhawk