Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-02-2006, 12:55 AM   #21
rlbell
Game freak

I just finished Magic Street, by Orson Scott Card. In the last three weeks, I read Niel Gaiman's Anansi Boys, the first five books of David Drake and Eric Flint's Belisarius series (An Oblique Aproach, Into the Heart of Darkness, Destiny's Shield, Fortune's Stroke, and Tide of Victory [Dance of Time is on pre-order]), and Sue Grafton's "G" is for Gumshoe. I have started reading Dan Simmons Olympos, and my next book is Sue Grafton's "H" is for Homocide (I wonder her series of books could be translated into other languages, without radically changing the titles).

I have read some James Clavell; although, even after seeing the miniseries, it took me three attempts to read Shogun (stopped at page 79 on the first attempt, 283 on the second, but it becomes engrossing by about page 300, and it holds for the remaining 900 pages). After Shogun, I read Taipan, but chose not to read Noblehouse or King Rat. I did read Whirlwind a couple of years ago.

Tolkien gets a re-read, every couple of years, most recently just before the release of Peter Jackson's Two Towers (Jackson's films are great movies, but rather mediochre adaptations of the books. Rankin Bass productions did a much better version of The Return of the King, not because they kept more in, but had better ways of making the pieces that they kept seem to be a whole story. Rankin Bass also did an adaptaion of The Hobbit, both are animations).

I used to read alot of P. D. James mysteries, but I finally got tired of the fact that every character is an unhappy one. I like Ruth Rendell Mysteries, and may start to reread them all.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 06-02-2006, 03:29 AM   #22
Mr.Snuggles
Game freak

Reading: The DangerZone & WoodSong ----Don't know the authors.

Read:

The Giver - Lois Lowry
The Contender
Number The Stars - Lois Lowry (Think I spelled her name wrong.)
Mr.Snuggles is offline                         Send a private message to Mr.Snuggles
Old 06-02-2006, 04:01 AM   #23
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by _r.u.s.s.@Feb 5 2006, 10:28 PM
iam reading The Witcher from Sapkowski

its fantasy parallel but there is slovan mythology
Sounds interesting (I wanna get my hands on it too).

Otherwise I'm currently reading:
The Sound of One Hand Clapping - by Richard Flanagan

It's got nothing to do with the philosophical question, it's an Australian story about a family that moved there from Europe (Slovenija to be exact) and the problems they had after ariving... The daughter (only around 4 when they moved) is searching for her lost past (she remembers very little from the moment on after her mother left, because her father was beating mother up after the move to Australia).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 06-02-2006, 04:32 AM   #24
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Trying to get through all Terry Pratchetts books, mainly discworld. funy stuff LOL
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 06-02-2006, 04:50 AM   #25
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Da Vinci Code (school)
And I need to get Song of Susannah.
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 06-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #26
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

I just finished The Dalkey Archive of Flann O'Brien, a novel in which 1.) James Joyce isn't dead, but works as an innkeeper in a small town near Dublin (and says that Ulysses is trash, and doesn't accept the idea of having written Finnegans Wake), 2.) a semi-lunatic inventor wishes to destroy the human kind, 3.) a debate between the said inventor and Saint Augustinus is held in a small underwater cave at the Irish coast, 4.) a policeman presents his "mollycule theory" according to which people are in serious danger of becoming bicycles (and due to this a bicycle was hung for murder). Not to mention the points 5, 6, 7, 8, and so on. Hilarious book.

The next one I will grab is most likely An Outline History of the Polish Culture, which I picked from an old books store for EUR 7. Looks promising.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:16 AM   #27
allyfaucet
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by moogle@Feb 6 2006, 05:50 AM
Da Vinci Code (school)
You get to read the Da Vinci Code for school?? That's so awesome!
allyfaucet is offline                         Send a private message to allyfaucet
Old 06-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #28
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by allyfaucet+Feb 6 2006, 05:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (allyfaucet @ Feb 6 2006, 05:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-moogle@Feb 6 2006, 05:50 AM
Da Vinci Code (school)
You get to read the Da Vinci Code for school?? That's so awesome! [/b][/quote]
I did that too!
Had an exam from it last Wednsday
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 06-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #29
plague
Abandonia nerd

Inquisitor rulebook. I'd really like to play it this game.
plague is offline                         Send a private message to plague
Old 06-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #30
iepeulas

I'm reading "The Dance of Ghengis Cohn" by Romain Gary. A jewish comedian is executed by an SS officer. Twenty years later, the ghost of the comedian drives his murderer into madness. Its a dark comedy, but a good book thus far.
iepeulas is offline                         Send a private message to iepeulas