Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-10-2005, 04:22 AM   #1
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 24-01-2008 at 04:40 PM.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 31-10-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
MV75
Abandonia nerd

Awesome. It's finally here. I've been trying to remember and find this game for a few years now. I originally had the demo when it first came out and that was it for that game back then. I recall in the limited demo that I could get a shotgun and blow some zombies away and I think it had some nice gruesome bits too. Anyways, time to play once I've downloaded it.
________
Paxil Attorney

Last edited by MV75; 05-05-2011 at 09:09 AM.
MV75 is offline                         Send a private message to MV75
Old 31-10-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

Uh.. the review sounds like the guy hasn't even played the game. This is one of the most unplayable pieces of garbage ever.

Just to warn those who are excited about this game after reading the review:

- The graphics were behind-ugly even when it came out, no matter what the reviewer says. The pseudo-3D is sure to cause epilepsia to anyone who is able to play the game for longer than 10 minutes.

- There's no plot to speak of, the monsters respawn once you enter another room (area), and the horrible graphics make the gameplay pure pixel-hunting.

- The controls are flawed, and the combat is just ridiculous hack&slash.

- A ton of bugs are included, including a tendency to crash every now and then, to skip cutscenes, and to make finishing the game impossible, should you miss a few leads early in the game.

Beware.

EDIT: Of course, it's rather fitting to have such a horrible game up for Halloween..
Old 31-10-2005, 07:25 AM   #4
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well in all honesty, the reviewer didn't give any score to this game (as he never did thus far), so I guessed that he'd give this game such a high score. After all, he is very enthusiastic about the game in the review.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 31-10-2005, 07:45 AM   #5
Shatari
Wink

YES! Thank you! I have been hunting for this title ever since PCGamer smeared it as one of the worst games of all time! (Yes, I'm one of those types of people)

This isn't a game you play because it's good, it's one you play because it is so bad it's funny! Thank you so much! I hope you feel a special warmth in your heart in knowing that somewhere in Kentucky there is a Nekoguy who can now die happy.

Old 31-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Taskmaster
Super Freak

:ranting: (Start)

If you don't like it don't play it. I did play it, and I did like it. I like it because I've been playing games since before graphics even existed. I wrote my first, and played games on a TRS-80 Model 1 where the standard ASCII character were the graphics. I've played every manner of game since then.

For the state of games in 1990, this game was pushing the envelope, Sure, it is a knock off of Wolfenstein 3D, so what. I'm not comparing Isle of the Dead to games today, I'm comparing it to games that existed at the same time it did. The graphics, the technology imployed for that time are pretty nice.

I have submitted a hand full of games, of which I rated none of them as I don't know what the rating used here is comprised of. The game is free, so if you don't like it, just delete it and move on.

:ranting: (End)

Would you care for some tea?
Old 31-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #7
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Taskmaster@Oct 31 2005, 04:35 PM
For the state of games in 1990, this game was pushing the envelope,* Sure, it is a knock off of Wolfenstein 3D, so what.* I'm not comparing Isle of the Dead to games today, I'm comparing it to games that existed at the same time it did.* The graphics, the technology imployed for that time are pretty nice.
I'd just like to point out that I bought the original copy of this game in the mid-90s. It wasn't innovative even back then, as around the same time games like for example Blake Stone and System Shock were released. The graphics were also some of the worst of the time.

I'm sorry if you felt offended by my post. My intention was to comment the game, and show where my opinion differs from yours. I believe it is fair to state a different opinion, especially when the game is as bad as Isle of the Dead.

Also, the line "the only weapon I have found is the machete" and the fact that the review doesn't mention the plot, the cutscenes, the bugs, and the different user interface in specific locations (such as the airplane at the start) really make it all sound like the game hasn't been thoroughly played before submitting the review.

..and I prefer coffee.
Old 31-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
Mr.Snuggles
Game freak

Really Id say this game was good for it's time. I played it, it's a good game...if you like the genre which I do.

..Id also Prefer Orange Juice.
Mr.Snuggles is offline                         Send a private message to Mr.Snuggles
Old 31-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
Taskmaster
Super Freak

No offense taken. I don't take offense were none was given.

I do not have a manual, nor was there any story intro to the game. I was simply working with what I had. I "reviewed" and submitted about 10 games in one weekend, so I did not finish any of the games this go around. Theses are all games from my past that I've played before, and honestly, I don't always want to play all the way through again.

Anyway, I was more interested in contibuting some old games to people who are like minded. One one hand I could care less about reviewing them, but on the other hand there is a certain sense of fun in writing the reviews.

I will endeavor to do a better job in the future.

Old 31-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
Lonewolf1044

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolf1044

:evil: D++n the game is old and we know that. Of course if you are playing a game that was produced today and go back to a game that was made years ago there is going to be a difference. I got this game on cd back in the days. even though I can't jump through hoops about it, I still had a good time. Different stokes for different folks! :blink: