Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #61

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cockroach @ Aug 15 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]248767[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If it's checking for Windows, you probably don't have the DOS version. Try in Wine maybe?
[/b]
is there a dos-specific version?

Old 15-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #62
TedStudley

alright, I've tried using wine, and I get the install dialogue to open up, but whenever I try to install it, it always says that there's not enough space in the given directory! I know that's not true, because there's about 40 gigs of unused space on this computer's HD. I'm trying to install it into the Z drive, which is the equivilant of \ for linux users, but it's not working. please help!

Just in case you haven't figured it out, I'm the guest person that posted the original problem. Just decided to register if I was going to spend so much time on the forums.
TedStudley is offline                         Send a private message to TedStudley
Old 16-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #63
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

Never had an error like that with it...

You don't have the directory permissions or anything like that wrong so you can't read/write do you?
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 16-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #64
TedStudley

Alright, figured it out...

I had to change some settings in the Wine configuration, but I got it to install. My new problem is that the program is asking for a SOUND.DLL file! Does anyone have this file?
TedStudley is offline                         Send a private message to TedStudley
Old 17-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #65
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Try using DosBox instead... there is a Linux version of it, afterall...
Just make sure you get Linux version rather then Win32 one.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #66
TedStudley

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 17 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]249252[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Try using DosBox instead... there is a Linux version of it, afterall...
Just make sure you get Linux version rather then Win32 one.
[/b]
I've already tried running SimEarth in DosBox, and it wouldn't work. It just gave me the message "You're not running windows". I posted about this problem earlier, and that was when someone suggested that I try using Wine. Or is it that I have to run the setup program with Wine, and the game program with DosBox?
Old 17-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #67
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

Do you have any way of getting a Windows file structure in a directory on your filesystem? I'm guessing 3.1 or 95 would work based on the age of the software. If you can, run the setup to use an existing install instead of a fake install for the libraries and things. If not it might be possible to add files in as you find them.
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 17-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #68
TedStudley

I'll try that and see what happens. I know I have an extra Windows 95 disk around here somewhere...
Old 18-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #69
TedStudley

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Abandonerd @ Aug 17 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]249321[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'll try that and see what happens. I know I have an extra Windows 95 disk around here somewhere...
[/b]
alright, turns out I don't have the disk, but all it seems to need is the file SOUND.DLL. I searched google for it, but couldn't find it.
Old 26-09-2006, 02:20 AM   #70
Fun Man Pham

Any clues on how to get the english text to show up properly? all i get is weird symbols...