Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #41
Elentari

I also have the same problem - the programme runs but the text comes out wrong. I use windows XP and am computer illetarete if that's how its called. Can someone help me?

Old 29-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #42
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

One of the most common questions ever asked on this forum. You were trying to run a DOS game in Windows, which ended in the typically catastrophic manner.
What you should have done is run the game in DosBox. If you have any problems with it, make sure to read the readme file - if that's not enough, there is always the official FAQ and Basic Setup and Installation guide.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #43
Elentari

Thanks for the info. In DOSbox it still doesn't work. I get 'bad programme image' or 'unable to change to ...'. I'm thinking it's because I can't change the 'read only' box of the map. Is there a way to uncheck this box? Thanks in advance...

Old 29-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #44
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Your description of the problem is at the very least confusing. Please state clearly what you have done and in what order.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #45
Elentari

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ May 29 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]291921[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Your description of the problem is at the very least confusing. Please state clearly what you have done and in what order.
[/b]
Sorry about that. Firstly, I unzipped the Mother Goose map, because I can't open it otherwise. In the DOSbox I mount to my games map, then to MOTHER~1 which is the name of the mother goose map on my laptop. Then when I type in 'MG' I get the message 'bad programme image'.

Otherwise when I just mount to my games map and type in '_install' I get 'echo, type \sierra, unable to change to \sierra' or something like that. I hope you understand what I mean now. The unzipped map of the games is 'read only', but all the files inside are not 'read only'. I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Old 30-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #46
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

It's not your fault. A lot of old Sierra games required to be installed into a "Sierra" directory on your hard drive.

1. Create a directory named Sierra and move the game directory into it.

2. Rename the game directory... I see you're using a dirname over 8 characters which is a big no-no in DOS and DOSBox alike. The game may require a specific name for its own directory to work. I don't know what is it, but seeing that "Mixed up fairy tales" used a dirname "Tales", you might want to try "Goose" for this one.

-- Reed Richards
Old 04-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #47

hello,
I like this game very much. I used to play this when I was seven.
But I don't get this game started on my computer.
Must it be downloaded on a floppy? what must I do then?

greets Fiene (NL)

Old 04-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #48
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

First: Please post your computer specs, most importantly, what operating system you have and if you tried to run the game directly from that operating system or if you tried to run it in DOSBox.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #49
Elentari

Guys, thanks for all your help. Unfortunately I still can't get it to start. I'm thinking maybe there is a bug in the MG i downloaded ... Any suggestions?

Old 05-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #50
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

First suggestion must be: What, exactly, happens? Any messages? Anything that might unveil this mystery?