Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Saccade
[BANNED]

Default Has anyone seen Panthro?

Just he was interested in reviewing some of the Text adventures and I have a backlog.

Does Panthro even come here any more? We're only a few hours from each other, so time difference may not factor.
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 15-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Panthro
Man of Science

Hello!

I am still around, just been less active than usual.

Not sure I have the time to be doing more reviews, unless the game was particularly easy and fairly short.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 20-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
Saccade
[BANNED]

I've got walkthru's written by other people (most of whom I have gotten permission off to post at Abandonia. Some I haven't...) for over half the Adventure games I have.
On FTP or still to be put up.

I haven't read them throughly or tested them all - I like to try to beat the game myself first. I use the walkthru if I get stuck for too long, just for progress' sake, as I don't want to be playing too long (even if the game isn't short).
Because on the second play-thru I can test the walkthru and, while doing so (as I know the game), I can write a Hintbook or Q&A. I am also trying to convert Q&A's and FAQ's for games into Universal Hint System.

I get addicted to walkthru's - especially really detailed and listed ones. They're the worst for me... I have to read loads to find where I am now stuck and learn several other problem's answers in the process.
It kind of ruins the game for me, as I'll return time and time again.
An addiction that gives you progress at the expense of the satisfaction of beating a game at its own game!

I'd rather have the satisfaction and be having fun. I play them through with Pandaaa - she gives me the hints from the walkthru so it doesn't ruin it for me the first time. She also helps me collect the hints I ask for - it is a bit like writing crossword puzzles as there are three sections:
Cryptic Questions, Coffee-time questions and Spoiler Answer.

I use my Imagination or Yahoo Answers or Wikipaedia to get ideas on the "Fake Spoilers" that aren't related to the game, but could be, to make sure that you don't read the next Spoiler.
They are all disordered, using corresponding numbers, and the Fake Spoilers need entries for the Cryptic and Coffee sections...

That part's quite a game in itself, I think! It is fun to come up with questions to answers to questions - especially if you have someone to bounce ideas around with. I am lucky to have Claire on boat for sure.

Then, after two playthroughs I know the game well enough to review.

It does seem like a lot, but that's just the way I like to do it. If you just wanted to review the game and make it short I can suggest a few that I can give you walkthru's for that aren't like "Daisy's magical dragon quest through poe's tinkie custard factory II" - unless you like that kind of thing..?
I don't... Nor do I know your type of game

I may have walkthru's for the Zork Episodes that are missing for Abandonia if Text Adventures are your thing. You need a different engine to run it, not Dosbox, but I can get you that too.

It seems I'm one of the only ones doing certain text adventures, so I don't mind giving any up (except one or two..!).

If nothing in my "to do" list in offers thread takes your fancy, then no worries - it was said to me (quite a while ago now, so maybe this is too late, eh?) that you might want a few of them.

Considering your avatar is reading Detective Tales I may have a few investigative-type games.

Later,
Pete
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 20-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Panthro
Man of Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccade View Post
Then, after two playthroughs I know the game well enough to review.

I may have walkthru's for the Zork Episodes that are missing for Abandonia if Text Adventures are your thing. You need a different engine to run it, not Dosbox, but I can get you that too.

It seems I'm one of the only ones doing certain text adventures, so I don't mind giving any up (except one or two..!).

Considering your avatar is reading Detective Tales I may have a few investigative-type games.

Later,
Pete
Well, I tend to give games one playthrough before review, I feel that should give you enough of a feel for a game to give fair comment on it.

I had some interest in text adventures because I never really got into any when I was younger, and quickly moved on to the Sierra "Quest" series and so on, and before you know it, the idea of a text adventure no longer appeals. It's more curiosity on my part now though.

If you can recommend a dosbox based one, I'll give it a shot, but don't expect a review quickly! It may take me a while fitting in the odd hour or two here and there.

Oh and the avatar is supposed to be reading Abandonia Times...

Andy.
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro